Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB  (Read 1493 times)

Offline shaux

• New Bee
SBB
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:41:18 pm »
Hello all
Have been searching around on here a lot lately just trying to increase my knowledge of beekeeping and decided that I needed to join.
I started beekeeping when I was 12.  Only had one hive and it died.  Am now 19 and got back into beekeeping again this year.  Just got a package on Wednesday.  The install went very smooth and am very excited to get back in full swing.  Well back to my question.  I am feeding them with a 1 gal jar on top of the inner cover.  They have been in the hive for coming up on two days now and have not taken as much sugar water as I thought they would.  I live in Denver, CO and the weather here lately hasn't been able to decide what it wants to do.  At night it's been dropping into the 30's above freezing.  I have a fully open SBB.  Could the drastic weather changes have an effect on them and their intake of sugar water? 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: SBB
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 02:58:55 pm »
Could the drastic weather changes have an effect on them and their intake of sugar water? 

Absolutely.  Feeding with an inverted jar over the inner cover is the best way to go in my opinion.   However,  the bees can only raise as much brood as they can keep warm.  I would highly suggest closing of the SBB to help retain the heat so the bees can raise more brood.  If you continue to have cool weather,  feeding a quart of warm syrup in the morning will be taken better than leaving a gallon of cold syrup for them.    Depending on the amount of the bees and the size hive you have then in,  you may want to reduce their area.  Try not to give them anymore room then they can fill right now.   Don't forget,  the colony will be in decline for the next 30 days or so until brood starts to hatch.

Welcome to the forum, it is great to have young beekeepers :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline shaux

• New Bee
Re: SBB
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »
Could the drastic weather changes have an effect on them and their intake of sugar water? 

I would highly suggest closing of the SBB to help retain the heat so the bees can raise more brood. 

Being that they have only been in there for a day and a half...Call it two days wouldn't that raise the possibility of not accepting the queen?  It's currently 38 degrees.  Has been up in the 70's lately though.

I've been trying to get to local meeting in the area but is hard to do while attending school.

anything