Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alpine Strawberries  (Read 4401 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Alpine Strawberries
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:29:31 pm »
Anyone ever had any or tried growing them?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Alpine Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:50:15 pm »
I have not and I eat a lot of fruit. Neither has my wife.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »
I read that they are a cultivated variety of wild strawberries and are very sweet.  They will live 2 to 4 years.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:38:51 am »
Some things I just can't do. Growing strawberries is one of them. Actually for me it's too much work for something I'm not that crazy about.

bw, Verbena (Chilton country s. of Clanton) has a U-Pick strawberry farm. It won't be open again until next spring. I bet if you go by there and ask someone they'll be glad to share their experiences with you.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:40 am »
I like strawberries but I am not wild about them. This is more of something I am going to do for my dad. Thanks GSF I just might stop by and talk to some people there about them.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:12 am »
My goal is to have 4 beds of 4 different types of strawberries. If they only live 2-4 years that is fine as  I can let them run/seed themselves in different spots of the raised bed

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:17 am »
I have some.   They don't send out runners.  Our have lasted for many years [though they might be spreading just enough to replace old plants.]   The berries are very small, but tasty.   Chickens and ducks [and children!] love them, so you might need to protect the rows/plants. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:43:33 am »
Rurification do they berries seed themselves like a normal strawberry? I have some netting I can put up to protect them

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:15:53 pm »
Well, that's a good question:

Rurification do they berries seed themselves like a normal strawberry? I have some netting I can put up to protect them

Mine spread by root crown cluster, so each plant has a couple of new crowns every spring and some crowns don't come back.   I've maintained mine for 7 years.   They like well drained soil and plenty of water [but not sitting in wet.]   I got my original crowns from a local garden center.   I don't baby them.   I put mine as an edging in a bed that is surrounded by a very short stack of limestone creek rock.   

I'll try to attach a pic....

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 11:05:03 am »
Well, that's a good question:

Mine spread by root crown cluster, so each plant has a couple of new crowns every spring and some crowns don't come back.   I've maintained mine for 7 years.   They like well drained soil and plenty of water [but not sitting in wet.]   I got my original crowns from a local garden center.   I don't baby them.   I put mine as an edging in a bed that is surrounded by a very short stack of limestone creek rock.   

I'll try to attach a pic....

Update on my alpine strawberries. They are doing really really well and blooming hard. Hoping to get a little fruit off them soon.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »
That's great!   Mine are up and flowering, too.   They'll bear all year if there's enough water. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:16:39 pm »
That's great!   Mine are up and flowering, too.   They'll bear all year if there's enough water.

Water is usually no problem. We average over 5 inches of rain during out heat months and if we do hit a drought I am on a deep well.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 11:55:32 am »
They are blooming well and I am starting to harvest some berries.

anything