Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Upcoming talk I'm giving - would like suggestions  (Read 10940 times)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Upcoming talk I'm giving - would like suggestions
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 03:30:05 am »
Interesting - my bees rarely attach it at the bottom

...That's because you don't turn the frames upside down silly!  :flyingpig:

deknow

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:00 am »
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:11 am »
Thank you all so much for the help - the talk went great - I took frames of drawn comb and showed them how the bees make passages through the comb, which they can't do with plastic foundation.  And - as if I had a plant in the room - a gentleman came up afterward and said, "You know, bees can mess up and draw crooked comb on foundation as well as without it!"  I just wish he had said it in front of everyone instead of at the end of the meeting at the front of the room.

I suggested at the end that some of them join me in being a renegade beekeeper, even if they just experimented with one box to see how they liked it - and how the bees liked it.

I told them, Deknow, about turning frames upside down and they were amused.  I also shared quotes that you gave me Michael from writings about using guides to help bees build comb rather than using foundation.

I brought a hive box with examples of new frames with wax strips, popsicle sticks, and drawn comb.  I brought my quilt board, rotary cutter and some foundation and cut wax strips.  I even brought the cursed wax tube fastener.

Anyway, no rotten tomatoes were thrown - I talked about the good, the bad and the ugly and a step by step "how to" - and at the end a number of people (like about 30 of the participants) came up to take a card with my blog address and to tell me they were going to try it in one box this year.

You are a great resource group and I appreciate so much all the input to help me make a success of this.  I'm so glad I took the risk of talking about something other than the usual meeting topics!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »
Good for you! I bet it was a much more interesting meeting than usual and expanded some horizons!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson