Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "natural" creamed honey  (Read 1236 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
"natural" creamed honey
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »
I guess all creamed honey is natural.... :-D

I had a 5 gallon pail of honey go through winter in the honey house. It was not heated, and it was not cooled this summer. So it went through the extremes at both ends of temp.

I opened it up and it had crystallized. But the stuff is silky smooth and better than some of the creamed honey I have tasted.

So my questions are....

Has anyone had this happen, and to which honey is better for this happening on it's own? The honey is very light, but I could not tell you what kind it is.

Is there a best way of storing it now that I have a product I do not want to change?

Will it continue to crystallize with time, meaning producing larger and larger "grains"? Or does it crystallize to a point then stop the process?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: "natural" creamed honey
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:56 pm »
i was lucky to get some like that a few years ago.  i kept a bunch as starter and it has not changed.  it's a lucky find and i think it will stay as is for you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: "natural" creamed honey
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:35:50 pm »
Yes.  Often.  And I try to cause it by simply putting it on the window sill which usually works fine to cause it to happen quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything