Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells  (Read 1697 times)

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
Queen cells
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:00:06 am »
This week I went into my hive and was surprised to find two completed queen cells and one queen cup being built.  Is there anything I should do at this point?  I know it's late for mating a queen.
Chris

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Queen cells
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 03:24:40 pm »
Do you have a laying Queen in the hive?  I have one right now that went queenless And has QCs in it. You may need to do nothing.

Offline Mamm7215

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:30 pm »
Well depending on where you are.  I'm in B.C. Canada and may have a similar situation but there's no drones anywhere anymore so if I have a queenless hive-unless I can still buy a mated queen-that hive is basically toast unless I combined it with a good hive.

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:18:53 pm »
Don't know about drones.   I'm still having trouble seeing the trees  for the forest, i.e. though I knew I had a laying queen I never saw her, and I never saw drones in the hive.
Chris

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »
Did you see any eggs?  Do you have any other hives?  Your farther north than me.

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:42:13 pm »
I have sealed brood, and some unsealed, but I really didn't see eggs, I'd say we're about to hit the peak  of goldenrod bloom.
Chris

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:54:59 pm »
At this point, I'd let the QC's hatch and check in two weeks to see if she mated and is laying. Hopefully there's still some drones around up north where you are; I suppose so.  If she's not laying, you may need to dispatch her and consider combining them with a strong hive.  If at anytime you start seeing multiple eggs in cells, you're queenless hive developed a Laying Worker; Watch out for that.  If the queens hatch without issue this won't likely happen so long as the reigning queen mates and starts laying, getting brood pheromone going in the hive.  However, that seems to be the unknown variable at the moment with you being up in Pennsylvania where it's cooling down.  Keep us posted. 

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:58:15 pm »
Well depending on where you are.  I'm in B.C. Canada and may have a similar situation but there's no drones anywhere anymore so if I have a queenless hive-unless I can still buy a mated queen-that hive is basically toast unless I combined it with a good hive.

Queen suppliers in Hawaii likely have queens available if you are looking to purchase one instead of combining.  I mention no names as I haven't purchased from any, but with our tropical weather, they tend to have queens year-round I believe.  Heck I just did inspections and I've got hives with lots of capped drones still...and we've still got swarming going on.  I've done two swarm removals this past week...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 04:53:02 am »
Definitely do nothing. Wait at least 2 weeks as mentioned, I would wait 3 weeks. The first week she is laying, she will probably be laying multiple eggs in cells. I have seen it multiple times in my observation hive.  When you inspect just look for larvae and eggs. If you have capped worker cells stop and close it up. What you do not want to see is bullet shaped Capps in worker size cells.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 03:04:18 pm »
Well at the suggestion of a local beekeeper, I decided to split the  hive.  The frame with the queen cup and another frame of brood and some empty frames with comb went into the split while the frame with two queen cells stayed with the original hive.
Chris

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 11:24:54 pm »
Was there anything in the Cup? 

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 05:32:49 pm »
There was a larva.
Chris

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:36:48 am »
When a queen cup has a larvae in it it becomes a queen cell.
The next important question is are there drones in any of your hives.
Not that she will mate with them but they let you know that there will be drones in the hives a mile from you.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything