Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: German Black Bees for sale in the US  (Read 18584 times)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: German Black Bees for sale in the US
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 12:25:58 pm »
>I don't know why Sue Cobey is messing around - genuine Old-World Carniolens can be sourced directly from Slovenia where they've been breeding them for centuries - I've bought some, and they are wonderful bees.

At the time Sue Cobey started breeding "new world carniolans" it was because no import of bees was allowed.  It's still not allowed, but they have recently allowed some semen to be imported and she is the one who got the permission to do so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 06:38:26 am »
>I don't know why Sue Cobey is messing around - genuine Old-World Carniolens can be sourced directly from Slovenia where they've been breeding them for centuries - I've bought some, and they are wonderful bees.

At the time Sue Cobey started breeding "new world carniolans" it was because no import of bees was allowed.  It's still not allowed, but they have recently allowed some semen to be imported and she is the one who got the permission to do so.

> but they have recently allowed some semen to be imported and she is the one who got the permission to do so.

Mr Bush, is this a good idea? My concern is if semen of one type bee is allowed, is their a possibility that semen of an (undesirable) strain may also find its way here as well?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 12:32:18 pm »
>Mr Bush, is this a good idea? My concern is if semen of one type bee is allowed, is their a possibility that semen of an (undesirable) strain may also find its way here as well?

Certainly genetics is a crap shoot.  Look at the scutellata x ligustica which turned into the AHB.  No one expected that to turn out the way it did.  But Carniolans are already here as are the Caucasians which she also is importing semen for.  It's just that our gene pool has gotten very inbred because of commercial queen breeders making thousands upon thousands of queens from the same queen mother.  That was the main reason for bringing in new genetics from existing strains.

I got started doing cutouts back in the 70s and I sometimes got some really hot AMM.  But sometimes AMM were ok.  I agree that the AHB are no hotter than the AMM I would find sometimes.  Certainly SOME AHB are nicer than SOME AMM...  I don't see them much anymore.  Last time I had some that had AMM traits was back around 2003 or so.  Those traits gradually disappeared even in my bees.  Mostly they are not considered a plus, though I like some of them.  They propolized a lot.  They were very runny.  And sometimes they were hyper aggressive...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 12:43:48 pm »
Thank you Mr Bush. Thanks for the insight. Very good post. To clarify my previous post, I trust Ms Colby. It is the ones who may apply for similar privileges that may follow suit is where my concerns are focused.  Being Future importers of seaman.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 12:54:33 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 01:21:12 pm »
My guess is that the USDA is pretty careful in handing out that privilege.  I'm more afraid of the Canadians bringing in bees from New Zealand.  No telling what new pest may arrive on our shores...
-------------------

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 10:42:27 pm »
Someone emailed me from an admin address on this topic. Please send from a personal account as my replies to you bounced.

Attaching a pic I took yesterday near my yard.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 04:59:33 am »
Jojo,
Who?s name is on that PM?
I checked my sent messages and I did not see it.
I may have sent you a PM about your location in your profile which I see you did.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything