Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Win XP - disconnected from my profile!  (Read 5099 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Win XP - disconnected from my profile!
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:05:45 am »
I came home last night, logged into the computer, and my desktop won't come up, I'm at a default desktop.  None of my customizations are working.  My files are still there, I can see them, but I can't be 'Ann Rein' on this computer.  It's a two year old Dell running WinXP SP 3.  If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise I'll have to rebuild everything from scratch - not a happy thought :(

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Win XP - disconnected from my profile!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:46:15 pm »
Try running it in safe mode, shut it down and restart it normally. I think safe mode is started by pressing the "F8" button during start up. Have you gone into the User accounts to see if maybe someone clicked the account off?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »
Dang Ann that sure sucks, hope you resolve this soon. You may want to pm Robo.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »
I came home last night, logged into the computer, and my desktop won't come up, I'm at a default desktop.  None of my customizations are working.  My files are still there, I can see them, but I can't be 'Ann Rein' on this computer.  It's a two year old Dell running WinXP SP 3.  If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise I'll have to rebuild everything from scratch - not a happy thought :(

I am not a computer expert, but when you have trouble this is the place to go.  http://www.techguy.org/
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:23:25 pm »
Something you might try,
Log in as the Administrator, not a user with admin rights, but The Administrator.
Create a new user account and give it administrator rights.
Log out and then log in as the new user, this gets the account activated
Log out again and then log in as The Administrator again.
Goto Control Panel, System, Advanced, User profiles settings button.
See if you can copy the profile from your old account to the new user account you have created.

Just a thought for you, hope it works. This problem has happened to me once in the past, and what I outlined above did not work, but hope it will for you. At least all your files are there, you can make a new user and then copy all your stuff over to the new users folders.

Also, have you tried doing a system restore?

Are you running a anti virus/anti spyware/trojan program?

Also, it might be a good thing to do a check disk on the hard drive.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:05:16 pm »
If you can pull up any stored file what so ever.
Pull it up and open it up.
I could not get anything the other day till I did this.
Once you are in the system then go to your Book Mark or Favorite.
I have XP but don't know which one.

I will see if my son will see at it tomorrow
doak

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56:09 am »
A few more clues - even though all my stuff is there, and I sign into my Ann Rein account, I'm really signed in as Default User - So I click on Ann Rein at the Welcome screen, enter my password, am logged in  - but to the Default User account.  Does that help anyone? 

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:24 am »
a few more clues - even though all my stuff is there, and I sign into my Ann Rein account, I'm really signed in as Default User - So I click on Ann Rein at the Welcome screen, enter my password, am logged in  - but to the Default User account.  Does that help anyone? 

Have you logged on, and asked the tech guys at  http://www.techguy.org/ ? Over the years I have had many problemms with computers, they have always got me back on the straight and narrow. After all, that is why I am a member of  aproximatly 30 forums, every time I have a problem with ANYTHING, I go on google, and search for a forum on the subject, and just about anything you can name, there is at least one forum on it. I am presently a member of three bee forums.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 12:29:24 pm »
Dont do this without asking someone else! Delete the "user account" so all you should have is the Ann Rein and the admin, if you have an admin user account. I only have my account "shawn" and a "guset" account. Hold on let me see if I can delete the guest account without any problems. Nope, it is turned off so no one can access it anyway. Maybe you can turn your "default" account off whcih Im guessing is the guest account. 

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »
F8 didn't work before, but this morning it worked, I was able to boot into safe mode - and use System Restore.  I set it back to October 31 and it worked - it came up properly.  I'm going to run chkdsk and then defrag, hopefully it'll be back to normal now.  As for Tech Guys, I've bookmarked them and will definitely use them as a resource in the future.

To answer a few questions, there is no 'administrator' account on the desktop, the main account is mine.  There are also accounts for my husband and son, and a guest account.  I run Trend Micro for antivirus/security, and to tell you the truth, I think there are some conflicts that have developed with it.  When I did the system restore it quarantined several Trend Micro files, and when I re-logged into my account once I got it working, Trend Micro needed to do a huge update and a restart.  Perhaps they sent out an update that caused this, I don't know.  So now, I'm running a cleaner/defrag program I was advised to use on the Windows Secrets newsletter, it's going to clean and optimize the registry, remove temp files and then run a thorough defrag.  I've also deleted all cache files from Firefox and compacted my Thunderbird inbox.  Hopefully this will bring things back to whatever normal is these days on that computer.