Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:49 am »
Yes, emergency queen cells.
The origin queen didn't make it through the trauma
or has swarmed off after the first day of cutout, or left your box since.
Count the days and be happy the base genetics will partially survive.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »
Eltailia , so does the bees going into the Queen cells tell you that there has to be a larvae inside? I know this is probably a dumb question but I am very curious. And would love for these bees to survive with a queen from there own genetics. The only queenless hive I've ever dealt with was super defensive and I took quite a few stings. This one is not acting like that at all.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:39:46 pm »
Eltailia , so does the bees going into the Queen cells tell you that there has to be a larvae inside?
Nursing bees attending those cells would be very obvious, given the timing from Days of Trauma. Give it a another day or so and you should be seeing the cells being drawn out further.
Right now if you wish to play a little - without disturbing the activity - you could use a dentists mirror and a penlight to look inside the cup.
From your account, counting back, the egg is likely on Day 05 so you should be seeing a small wriggler maybe 4mm in length. YMMV

I know this is probably a dumb question but I am very curious. And would love for these bees to survive with a queen from there own genetics. The only queenless hive I've ever dealt with was super defensive and I took quite a few stings. This one is not acting like that at all.
Don't take this as judgement but fellas of my disposition get wary when reading "probably a dumb question" as it is neither dumb nor "polite preamble".. many reading here would know what you are seeing, AND they 'speak' your dialect, I don't,  I refuse to.
An estuary fisher myself, I know light braid+long leader+ light bait = huge flathead hooked up on an 8llb rod, like :-)

It is way early for the colony to recognise and react as a "queenless colony".. right now they are doing what Michael Bush promotes as a solution to LW colonies in only concerntrating on raising the viable eggs, some as queens. What you describe may come if this build fails to produce a queen, something that is highly unlikely given your diligence during the cutout and the size of the colony described.
Do keep us updated :-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:57 pm »
I am unsure what you mean by "refuse to speak my dialect". And I definitely don't take it as a judgement call. But I think maybe the phrase I used "probably a dumb question", is something that isn't used at all, or used in a totally different fashion where you come from. But where I come from it's used on a daily basis. And i was basically meaning that to a more experienced bee keeper, the question probably sounded very immature, or made it obvious that I was a very new bee keeper. Either way. No offense taken, and I really appreciate any advice I can get. My buddy has a wife from Russia. Here in the South, we cuss and tell nasty jokes, and say things to each other in a joking manner that doesn't make any sense to some cultures. Well I said some things to my friend/co-worker and his wife slapped the heck out of my face. I got pretty heated but bit my tongue. He had to explain to her that I was joking, and that's just what we do. She thought she was defending his honor or something. Oh well. We all had a good laugh about it afterwards.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 10:15:03 pm »
I am saying I won't be persuaded to build whole edits in the American way..being resolute in owning my own Aussie identity.
Some have a problem with this ethos.
Nothing to do with bees or the topic, I have run across the same problem in many modern online forums. Newbies being always welcome as they draw out editorial..new players with loads of experience on the topics are not so welcome. Before I learnt to stay on topic and be succinct I was Tossd off many a forum, including a few fishing spots!! :laugh:

... all good, no worries. I hear you :-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:48 pm »
Understood.
Take a kid fishing !

anything