Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A bears Lunch  (Read 5332 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
A bears Lunch
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: a bears Lunch
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
will the dnr come and trap the bear or give you permission to shoot it?

will the dnr recoupe your losses?

that is a sad site and sorry for your losses.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »
will the dnr come and trap the bear or give you permission to shoot it?

will the dnr recoupe your losses?

that is a sad site and sorry for your losses.

G3
No, and no.  Never seen a kill permit for bear abatement.  They will trap them but they usually come back anyway.  Unless they bring that bear to yellow stone it will come back much of the time.

I am waiting to hear back from the USDA.  Believe it or not they handle this stuff. LOL.  Wisconsin DNR whatever program in association with the USDA or whatever it is will pay for damages if over $500.00 up to $1500.00 per year.  I think you have to own the land though but I see there are exemptions for Apiculture.  SO that means Im out.  I was a bit mad obviously at the time I made the video.  The last two I think will be ok, I made some NOISE, BANG, BANG, then came back, put them back together, and took them to my yard with a fence.  I intended to put a fence up here but I dont have one of those money trees in my back yard.  I will not bring any more bees here till next year after I build a electric fence.  I believe I have to be a commercial beek to get real attention from the usda.  I have been trying to find this document I once found that gives information for a fence loan program that I want to read the qualifications for.  If anyone knows of it and can pass on the link I would appreciate it.

There were some chunks of brood in the really black comb which the bear must not like the taste of too much left that Im sure it will be back for tonight.  I was talking with my uncle and we were thinking we should have left a trail came there to get a pick of the bear but oh well.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »
Here in North Georgia, they were talking about raising the limit from one bear to tree bears a year and making bear season longer due to the increasing bear population.  They also tear up some cars, worse than deers on the roads.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »
ouch

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »
Can you say bear sausage!  I find it interesting that one needs a license to hunt the "state's" wildlife, but when that same wildlife causes damage, the state is not responsible.  Talk about your double standards.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »
Shoot, shovel, shut up

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
That is the way I have always seen it. The state or feds want to claim, protect, relocate, regulate and charge for hunting most all animals (game or pest), but when it comes time for blame to go the other way they are claimed to be "wild" and nothing can be done about it (at least until somebody is bitten or killed). Well I say if they are "wild" and on my place....................well you get the picture.

SSS can be the best way most times.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
Unfortunately, bears gotta eat too but just for the record, I wasn't meaning to come across insensitive. As for myself, which may sound uncaring as well, I encourage working with your State DNR. If I kept running into walls I would consider contacting Defenders of Wildllife, they may or may not be an alternative in locating some sort of assistance.

interesting read http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Bears/bearsbeehivesCoSU.pdf

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:18:36 pm »
I cant believe it.  The DNR/USDA gave me a fence TODAY!!!  However they are no longer liable for damages to hives at the location I put the loaned fence.  If I got the land owner to open the land for public hunting of bear then they would assume liability and loan me the fence.  I have signed a contract for 2010 and can give them the fence back next year and put up my own and then they will be liable for damages.  Guy was very nice.  I guess he has handles four counties and has given out about 150 fences.

Im happy now.   :cheer:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:45 pm »
Oh yeah,  I think the two that were just tipped over are going to be fine.  The other still had about half the bees left.  I had a queen that I was not sure what I was going to do with.  I put it on top bars today and did not get the flow of bees toward that I would expect from a queen-less colony but they were interested and I figure if they need it they have it, it they kill it I have queen, it they except it and it kill the old queen from last year I have a re-queened colony

Thomas Jefferson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:36 am »
If I got the land owner to open the land for public hunting of bear then they would assume liability and loan me the fence. 
That's what we were told also. The guy said basically we could explain to prospective hunters that we haven't seen the bear since, and we would not actually get hunters on our land....

I'm in the middle of tallying up the cost of bear damage to our hives, too, and need to send that in and hopefully get some reimbursement.

So sorry this happened to you. I truly know how it feels.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 05:04:24 am »
It did not turn out all that bad

I got a fence, moved my bees to another yard, gave new queen to one that was ate up bad which is back to a full box now.  Other two superceded right away but I dont blame them.  Worst part was getting stung in face because I was in such a hurry to put them back together that I forgot to zip up my veil.  Actually having to move them sucked but all said and done now.

I would not count on the havent seen the bear since story working out to well.  The will want to bait and put up a trail cam to see for them self.  Maybe you can deny them putting up a cam though.

good luck

Thomas Jefferson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:36:53 am »
I'm glad it is working out somewhat okay. Both my hives are dead.  :'(
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson