Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Canberra, Australia.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline HelloDas

• Brood
  • I exists as I am. That is enough.
    • My YouTube Channel
Greetings from Canberra, Australia.
« on: May 15, 2023, 07:12:24 am »
Good day, folks,
My name is Das,  from the Australian capital Canberra.  Started beekeeping a year ago as a hobby (Apis Millifera).

I have two hives sitting on the garage roof. I know it is not an ideal place, but my Ms don't want it on the ground. The roof slope is not too steep, and bees seem to be happy to have their own private space :)  Photo attached.

For part of the year I live in Kerala, India. There I am planning to start two beehives as well. The common bee species there is Apis cerana indica.   

I am also joining in this forum to connect with beekeepers in other parts of the world. Thank you.

Cheers,
Das
FB: KannaDasAustralia
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:37:18 pm by HelloDas »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Greetings from Canberra, Australia.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 10:20:41 am »
Hi HelloDas,
We are glad to have you join us.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 10:29:41 am »
Welcome.  Glad you found us and look forward to your beekeeping (and other) stories.   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 10:48:41 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, Das!  :happy:  I can't wait to hear about both types of honey bees you keep!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 10:58:55 pm »
Welcome Das, look forward to seeing how your hives progress in Canberra snd Kerala
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 12:55:42 am »
Welcome to Beemaster, Das!  :happy:  I can't wait to hear about both types of honey bees you keep!
Welcome Das, look forward to seeing how your hives progress in Canberra snd Kerala

Same here!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 08:07:02 pm »
Das,
Welcome to Beemaster.
My dad kept five hives on the roof. The biggest draw down is moving boxes and bees on and off the roof.
Looks like you have a home made solar water heater up there also.
Back in the 80s I used a black plastic hose coiled on the roof to heat our in ground pool. It allowed my son to swim earlier and later in the year.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline HelloDas

• Brood
  • I exists as I am. That is enough.
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 08:48:55 pm »
Greetings Jim,
Eventually the hive will be moved to a flatter area for safety & easy access. The solar heating coils the hive currently sitting on is not used.

Going to Kerala, India next month. Looking forward to handling smaller Indian bees in their newton hives. Will update my experience in this forum.

Enjoy your days.

Cheers,