Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4mm aperture mesh for screened bottom board  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
4mm aperture mesh for screened bottom board
« on: December 23, 2022, 01:35:25 am »
Hi,

I would like to make a screened bottom board for controlling small hive beetle and providing ventilation, and I want to know if a 4mm aperture woven wire mesh is suitable?

4mm aperture seems to be good for passage of beetles, but is it small enough to prevent bees from going through?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: 4mm aperture mesh for screened bottom board
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 07:47:48 am »
Charlie we use number 8 hardware cloth here in America. 0.125''   1/8'' which equals = 3.18 mm.
It is my understanding this is the smallest opening suggested for the purpose you seek.

Since number 7 hardware cloth is 3.629 millimeters, that will mean you will be pushing it at 4mm. Assuming the following information is 100 percent accurate. I would like to hear from other beekeepers who actually use or have tried 4mm and hear what they say.

I found the following in the archives here at Beemaster. The following was speaking in answer to 1/4 inch hardware cloth for another purpose. Not the same question you ask, but the answer should shed some light to your question Charlie.

Phillip

very easily, they have no trouble going through it, most use it for mouse guards, you will need number 7-8 hardware cloth for bee's not to go through, some go through number 7 but 8 is to small. think I got my numbers right, sure some will correct me if I am wrong, but 1/4 inch bee's will go through with no problem.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 08:01:12 am »
#8 is typical for a SBB but it is too large to stop SHB.  People in SHB problem areas tend to do trays under them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 08:04:15 am »
Thanks Mr Bush that is my understanding as well and what I have used successfully..

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 11:58:41 am »
Hive beetles can get through my screened bottom boards.  I know because I find their frozen cold bodies on my inserts after the first big cold spell of the year.  As Michael said, you'd actually WANT them to fall through if you are using an oil tray.  But if you aren't, maybe the smaller wire would actually be better, because it could prevent them from entering underneath. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 04:40:10 pm »
Thanks everyone. My intention is for the small hive beetles to fall through the mesh and drown in an oil filled tray.

Will bees fit through the 4mm aperture? I do not want the bees to get through the mesh and drown in the tray.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 04:55:01 pm »
Your Welcome Charlie. According to TwT, 'some bees' can get through 3.629mm. So yes, if he is correct even more can get  through 4mm.. 

Update: After reading that topic further Mr Bush said some workers can get through number 7  HWC '3.629mm' if bent. Even still 4 mm is wider. I would not with to try it personally, until someone vouches 4mm will infact get the job done without loss of bees.

Phillip
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:46:28 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 04:57:22 pm »
What many of us use is number 8 hardware cloth which is 3.18 mm almost a mm less than your intention. Doesn't sound like much but......

Phillip

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 05:34:31 pm »
I agree with Phillip.  If hardware cloth is sold by mm size in your country, I'd go with 3mm, not 4mm.  But perhaps some of the other Aussies can chime in here, since we aren't used to the sizes available to you. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 06:11:03 pm »
Ok, I will look for something smaller. Another possibility I have found is "expanded metal mesh" . the holes are long and narrow. I'll look at the sizes and come back for advice.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 06:26:44 pm »
Charlie, Lesgold also of your country posted the following past July for his solution. Simply click on the heading below and it will take you to the image... I hope this will be of help

Phillip

Hi Guys.

A few years ago I made a couple of top bar hives. I had the same problem in finding a small gauge mesh. In the end I found this stuff :

It?s actually a brand of gutter guard that I found at a local hardware store. It?s made from aluminium and comes in at about 7 segments to the inch. As you can see, the spaces are not square and the thickness of each aluminium section is slightly thicker than what you would see on hardware cloth. The main point is that bees did not get through it. It can be purchased in rolls up to about 250mm wide. Max, if you want a piece, PM me with your address and I?ll post a piece to you.

Cheers

Les
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:56:24 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 12:06:34 am »
Hi Charlie,

Before you go and purchase any materials for your bottom board, have a look at Bluebees bottom boards. You can buy the insert or a completed bottom board. They are the best bottom boards that I have used in my location (on the south coast.) Bees chase the beetles onto the bottom board and they fall through the slots in the base. All waste debris generated in the hive falls through as well. The bottom boards dont accumulate waste material and never require a spring clean. I?ve been experimenting with a range of bottom boards for about five years now and these boards come out on top in my opinion. They also provide good ventilation throughout the hive.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 05:50:53 am »
The blue bees boards are looking like a good option at the moment, because the prices for woven mesh here in Sydney are astronomical.