Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lighter equipment  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Lighter equipment
« on: March 08, 2023, 10:23:38 am »
https://bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

See the link above for more on this.  I found that ten frame deeps can weigh 90 pounds when full of honey.  I much prefer my eight frame mediums.  How to convert is detailed above.  Keep in mind you can mix eight frame and ten frame boxes with just a 20" long 1x3.  I really think the best first step is to stop buying boxes that you don't want (too heavy).  I recommend eight frame mediums as they are reasonable (40 pounds when full of honey) and most everything is available for them (plastic frames, plastic foundation, frame feeders etc.)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BarryFrantz

• New Bee
Re: Lighter equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 08:42:03 am »
i'm trying some 8 frame colonies, but most of mine are still ten frames, using 2 brood boxes.

How many boxes do you try to maintain as brood boxes?

Do you have any challenges to keep the queen from moving up and laying eggs where you want to be making honey?  Or just use an excluder?  I haven't been using excluders, do have some cases of brood showing up in supers i want for honey, but i just deal with that until it's hatched.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 08:58:09 am »
Barry,
Welcome to Beemaster!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 09:13:41 am »
Barry,
Welcome to Beemaster.
I don?t make that decision, the bees decide how many brood boxes they need. Some will only use 2 medium 10 frames,
Some use more. If they don?t have enough room for the queen to lay they will probably end up swarming.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 11:23:18 am »
General UK system is a bit different to what you guys and gals describe. Our brood boxes (deeps) hold 11 frames and if full of honey weight around 40-50 lbs  if full of honey.....however we collect our honey in what are called supers placed above a queen excluder (these are around half the depth of the brood boxes) and will weight no more than 30lbs when full. Makes for even more of a less back breaking experience. I use polystyrene supers and brood boxes which lightens the weight even further.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 11:49:47 am »
i'm trying some 8 frame colonies, but most of mine are still ten frames, using 2 brood boxes.

How many boxes do you try to maintain as brood boxes?

Do you have any challenges to keep the queen from moving up and laying eggs where you want to be making honey?  Or just use an excluder?  I haven't been using excluders, do have some cases of brood showing up in supers i want for honey, but i just deal with that until it's hatched.
Welcome to Beemaster, Barry!  :happy:  I use all 8-frame mediums, and like Jim said, it's up to the bees to decide how much brood they want and need.  I don't use queen excluders, but I never harvest the first full box of honey.  I always leave that for the bees to make sure they have enough food, but it also doubles as a honey barrier that keeps the queen, and therefore any eggs, out of the super above that one, which I harvest.  I've never had any trouble with brood in my honey supers. 

General UK system is a bit different to what you guys and gals describe. Our brood boxes (deeps) hold 11 frames and if full of honey weight around 40-50 lbs  if full of honey.....however we collect our honey in what are called supers placed above a queen excluder (these are around half the depth of the brood boxes) and will weight no more than 30lbs when full. Makes for even more of a less back breaking experience.
Traditional Langstroth beekeeping actually does use deeps for honey and mediums/shallows as supers above a QX.  Many people just find it more convenient to have all their equipment be the same size, and therefore interchangeable, so choosing all one size box as become more popular as time has gone one. 

I use polystyrene supers and brood boxes which lightens the weight even further.
I'm doing my first inspection on my new poly hive today, which is 10 frame, since I couldn't find any 8-frame poly equipment for a decent price.  I'm interested to see how managing it will be different from my other equipment.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 09:45:18 pm »
General UK system is a bit different to what you guys and gals describe. Our brood boxes (deeps) hold 11 frames and if full of honey weight around 40-50 lbs  if full of honey.....however we collect our honey in what are called supers placed above a queen excluder (these are around half the depth of the brood boxes) and will weight no more than 30lbs when full. Makes for even more of a less back breaking experience. I use polystyrene supers and brood boxes which lightens the weight even further.

I like it Nigel..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BarryFrantz

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 11:53:33 pm »
thanks all for the input!  makes sense...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 06:36:57 am »
>i'm trying some 8 frame colonies, but most of mine are still ten frames, using 2 brood boxes.
>How many boxes do you try to maintain as brood boxes?

I just try to keep them from running out of room.  I generally don't use an excluder unless I'm doing queen rearing.  If I am queen rearing then I use an excluder over one box since I'll be in that box often (at least once every two weeks and sometimes sooner) I can keep the queen from running out of room by juggling frames.

>Do you have any challenges to keep the queen from moving up and laying eggs where you want to be making honey?  Or just use an excluder?  I haven't been using excluders, do have some cases of brood showing up in supers i want for honey, but i just deal with that until it's hatched.

You can use an excluder if you like.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything