Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tilling  (Read 5544 times)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
tilling
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:31 pm »
have you seen the Plot master?
cool one piece does it all

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: tilling
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:00 pm »
I haven't seen the plot master but I'm a big believer in tilling. In my garden I have red clay, loam, then sandy soil. A couple of my neighbors has those 5 and 6 foot tillers behind their tractors and one of them will usually till up my garden for me. The first year someone done that for me was astonishing. When I hoe the grass out I was used to sometimes having to swing the hoe almost like an axe the ground was so hard. That tiller makes hoeing a lot more easy.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:49 am »
Nope, haven’t seen the thing yet.  Looks like it might work well in currently cultivated soil but I’m skeptical how it would do dealing with virgin or overgrown pasture land.  Gotta get a creeper gear in the next tractor for a rototiller.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:01 am »
if you are rototilling tough ground don't buy an automatic.  you'll tear it up for sure.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:11:00 pm »
i think it would be good for established food plots depending on what you want to plant. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »
I looked at them after doing a search.
I'll bet the price makes it pretty prohibitive to buy for small production or just to plant flowers for bees.
Like mentioned before, I would not use then on un broken ground. I have a heavy 6' harrow with a 6' piece of railroad track on top for extra weight and I have dragged it with my 58 horse tractors and the first several passes it barely gets into the soil. I take a 2 blade, new ground plow to turn the soil and then after letting it sit for a month,to let roots die, use the harrow to break it up and level it out. Even then, on fields that had bushes, it takes several passes. After that, the harrow works well by its self.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:55:41 pm »
happened across this an was wondering what y'all thought
pulled behind a 4 wheeler or pickup, just right for a small guy or group

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:49:15 pm »
happened across this an was wondering what y'all thought
pulled behind a 4 wheeler or pickup, just right for a small guy or group
Did you get a price for it?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:46 pm »
jim, i finally broke down and bought a 2 bottom plow.  it is a big time (and fuel) saver.

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:28 am »
I could definitely make use of that.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:39:03 am »
jim, i finally broke down and bought a 2 bottom plow.  it is a big time (and fuel) saver.
Nice. You must have some nice soil up there.
When I first started farming, I bought a bottom plow and tried to turn the fields between the pine tree rows. It was full of gallberry that I had bush hogged down. I straightened that plow right out. That is why I bought the new ground plow. It cuts the roots up real nice.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:33 am »
sandy but it was clear cut about ten years ago.  i'm still grabbing pine stumps with it. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »
sandy but it was clear cut about ten years ago.  i'm still grabbing pine stumps with it. 
The nice thing about a New Ground Plow is that if the stump is half rotten, it will cut it wide open and pull that section out easily.
My  place is a tree farm that was third rowed 2 years before I bought it. At the 5 year point, I was cutting them out easily.
Last year we took out another row out (every other row for more sunlight) of a large section so that I can grow more grass and I am waiting for those stumps to rot to start plowing them out.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 10:42:28 am »
A used plot master $4000. to $5900.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 02:11:41 am »
I like to run over new ground with a 6' chisel plow.  Sometimes put all the tines on the back, gets roots and small stumps out.

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 06:23:13 am »
I like to run over new ground with a 6' chisel plow.  Sometimes put all the tines on the back, gets roots and small stumps out.

Joe

Joe,
I tried using my box blade with the tangs down on these gallberry roots. All it did was roll large mats of roots. I suspect a 6' chisel plow would do the same thing. A lot of the roots were 2-3" in diameter.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:44 pm »
A used plot master $4000. to $5900.

you can buy a lot of used implements for that kind of money.