Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: keeping Q.E. on when adding more honey supers?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
keeping Q.E. on when adding more honey supers?
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »
In an outyard I used queen excluders and placed 2 drawn comb honey supers on each hive.  I did not want to mess with queens in the supers there.  At home I do not mind.  So, when I add more honey supers they will be foundation only.  Should I remove the queen excluder so they draw them out better or can I simply set them above or below the current ones and leave the q.e. on since bees are already in the other supers?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: keeping Q.E. on when adding more honey supers?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:10 am »
If your plan is to add the supers with foundation on top of the filled honey supers, then you don't need the excluder - you've got a "honey barrier" that should prevent the queen from going up into the topmost supers.

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:49:43 pm »
If your plan is to add the supers with foundation on top of the filled honey supers, then you don't need the excluder - you've got a "honey barrier" that should prevent the queen from going up into the topmost supers.

And would the bees draw out the foundation fairly rapidly?  We will soon enter our main honey flow.  Is there a way they would draw it out even better?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:26:37 am »
And would the bees draw out the foundation fairly rapidly?  We will soon enter our main honey flow.  Is there a way they would draw it out even better?
During a flow, they should draw comb quickly. A upper entrance might be helpful (prop open the top a bit with a stick).

anything