Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
What is this?
« on: December 24, 2019, 06:21:39 pm »

Saw this in one of my hives. Wasn?t there couple weeks ago. Is that dysentery? 

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:15:50 pm »
Looks like it. Probably best to consult a veteran beek but that looks like dysentery to me.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 07:34:38 pm »
Nock, does not look that bad to me, mild desentary.  When bees are clustered due to cold, they have to hold it, no bathroom breaks until warmer weather permits.  So in a cluster with thousands of bees in such close proximity and inability to relieve themselves, small amounts of dysentery are not alarming.  Nosema, one probable cause, appears to be always present in the bee gut.  For reasons described above, the Nosema spores accumulate under such conditions.

Now, if the outside or inside of hive was almost solid brown with splatter, then I would worry.  We have a fella here, The Honey Pump I consider to be an authority on Nosema.  The fella actually does spore counts with microscope and slides.  Hopefully, HP can chime in and shed more light on the subject.  There are other beeks on this forum that can offer there knowledge also, better than I.

For now, I don?t see any serious worries.

Enjoy the Holidays
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 02:05:58 am »
Same here. It might bee that your bees consider this area as not a part of the hive and relieved themselves.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 02:02:29 pm »
Yes, it's dysentery.  Anytime bees are confined for any length of time they will get dysentery.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:44:46 pm »
Thanks

anything