ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Automatic chicken coop door

(1/8) > >>

Kathyp:
We are thinking of installing one.  When we travel we hire someone to look after things here, which means they have to come back late to lock up the chickens.  Do any of you have such a door installed, do you like it, and which brand?

I think I want one that is either disposable battery-operated or plug in. 

Ben Framed:
I have no experience with this but the idea sounds good Kathy.

Phillip

gww:
I always wanted one but would caution that I have two incidents of coons being in the chicken house before dark and at dark and sometime have a chicken go in at the very last second (usually the ones that are picked on).  Good luck and if you do it let us know how it goes.
Cheers
gww

Michael Bush:
I've been looking for one.  I think I saw one once with a solar panel and a battery.

Acebird:
I made one with a 4v battery operated screw driver.  You use a 1/4 - 20 threaded rod and a blind nut which will last over a year before you have to replace the nut because of the dust and dirt in the coup.  First I tried to use a solar cell to actuate it but light is not consistent so I ended up using a timer and adjusting it for the season.  I had to buy a 6v relay and two micro switches for limits besides the 20 dollar screw driver.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNnuWkXRFSEoNa2yNHF3PXjC_mDF4r644BR9RR1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version