Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using scented Dishwashing detergent in the mesh bottom board tray for shb.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
Hello,

What are people's thoughts or experience regarding using scented Dishwashing detergent in the tray of a mesh bottom board for small hive beetle control? Is it ok, or should I stop using it immediately.

I have filled my tray with the stuff because that is what I have available and I have read that soap is a lot less messy and smelly compared to old vegetable oil, but I am concerned that the fragrance in the soap is going to be too much for the bees.

Thanks for reading.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Hi Charlie,
I have heard of using dish soap in bottom trays, but diluted by water. I do not recall a discussion using pure dish washing soap. One problem folks mentioned when using the diluted version is evaporation..  With this in mind I do not know how fast the pure soap evaporates.  Just curious; If or when it does evaporate, what will be left behind in the tray?

Now, since your bees can't reach the tray or it contents in any form, I do not see an immediate problem as far as contact goes. As far as odor or any other problem you ask about, I do not know. I look forward to hearing from others on this.

Good Topic Charlie. Thanks for posting.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
Hi Phillip. Thanks.

I will clarify by saying that I did dilute it with water. I used about 1 teaspoon of detergent to  1 cup of water.

The dish soap has a fake lemon smell, but because I made such a strong mixture compared to what is normal for dishwashing it does have a very strong smell when I mix it up.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Personally I do not think you will have a problem as long as the bees can't reach the pan area. We have had discussions about dish soap before and I can't recall anyone mentioning the diluted soap and its scent being a problem.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Personally I do not think you will have a problem as long as the bees can't reach the pan area. We have had discussions about dish soap before and I can't recall anyone mentioning the diluted soap and its scent being a problem.

Phillip
I don't have any experience with beetle trays personally (I use Swiffer sheets), but I agree with Phillip.  As long as the bees don't fan like crazy to evacuate the scent when you fill the tray, I think you can assume it doesn't bother them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Most fake lemon smells are citral which is a constituent of (and often extracted from) lemongrass oil.  Lemongrass oil is the same as Nasanov pheromone.  It may confuse the bees, but probably won't hurt them.  It might even attract SHB.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Lemon grass oil is an attractant and it a possibility that the symptoms described could possibly occur. The possible problems described by MB is one reason many who feed essential oils, leave out lemongrass  in home brew knock off HBH including myself.  (When I use to use essential oils in my feed.)
Charlie did your bees seem confused with the diluted lemon soap in your tray? If so simply choose another fragrance.

Phillip

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
Hi, thanks for the feedback everyone.

The bees didn't seem to react to the smell, they were exiting and entering the hive as they do when they are working.

Attracting shb to the hive is definitely not good, but if the beetles in the hive are attracted to the soap that would be useful.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Hi, thanks for the feedback everyone.

The bees didn't seem to react to the smell, they were exiting and entering the hive as they do when they are working.

Attracting shb to the hive is definitely not good, but if the beetles in the hive are attracted to the soap that would be useful.

> "but if the beetles in the hive are attracted to the soap that would be useful".

Yes It would. Small Hive Beetles in the area of 'their range' ARE going to find your hives with or without LGO or other added attractants. The main attraction to the SHB, as far as the beekeeper is concerned, 'is' the hive of honey itself.

Perhaps on the upside, if a person had more than one hive and only one trap filled with attractant to the SHB, (an attractant filled trap that will most certainly lead them to their doom), then it is possible that a 'majority' of incoming Beetles 'might' be more prone to choose the one hive with the trap of attractant;.....  And if so, that just 'might' be a good thing.

Phillip

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:54:02 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
When I see the need for oilpan trap use, I first add a majority of water to the pan, then I add a small portion of "Mothers Vinegar" which helps with smell and mold. On the top and last layer I use a 'thin' layer of 'used' cooking oil.

The vinegar not only helps to detour mold and smell.
When I first mentioned this a couple years ago, Van From Arkansas told me that I had hit on a good idea because beetles are attracted to "Mothers Vinegar". I use the water in the bottom to avoid using so much oil. The thin layer of oil floating on top serves as a beetle killer as well as an evaporation barrier to help retard the water and mothers vinegar from evaporating at a fast rate.

Phillip

anything