Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two new hives  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Two new hives
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:52:26 pm »
Here are pictures of two new hives I'm building this winter. I am documenting their construction in the Basic Tools & Hive Construction section.

Notice the second hive is in the background, behind and to the left of the first. They each have two deeps and three medium supers. Total of ten boxes and my cost for the wood ( rough sawn pine ) was $36.00.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Two new hives
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:12:08 pm »
You did wonderful! Those are some nice hives. And you managed to get a good price on wood apparently. Thumb Up!  8)

What will you paint them with? White? Stain?

Seeing how well you did encourages me to try your techniques next spring when I build more hives. I'm going to need several boxes - some to replace a few (2 or 3) that have gotten a little worn, and maybe 4 boxes for expansion of the hive.

Beth

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Two new hives
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:01:45 pm »
I plan to paint them white. I don't have much problem with needing to "hide" them to keep the curious Georges away. They will be tucked away from prying eyes, so beehive white is the color of choice. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Two new hives
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 04:40:24 am »
Bravo!
Great job. I really like the fact that you are sharing this process with all of us.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

anything