Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Single brood box.  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
Re: Single brood box.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 08:11:42 am »
I use the standard 5 frame deep nuc boxes both for honey collection    The top deep nuc box full of honey/nectar is about 60 lbs. each.

Really..... 12lbs honey per frame?? I think you need to check your scales.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 06:30:37 pm »
If you do the math a deep frame is about 50 cells high by 90 cells long which gives 4,500 cells per side. Multiply that by 20 sides and you will get 90,000 cells in a ten frame deep. A queen can lay up to 1,500 eggs per day with a 21 day worker bee life cycle so the queen only needs 31,500 cells (1,500 x 21) to maintain maximum population in a hive which leaves 58,500 free cells available  for pollen and honey storage in a single brood box.
     Looks good on paper but the chance of getting honey bound in a single deep and causing swarms is higher than running two deeps for brood. Of course swarming can be controlled by careful management of the single deep along with pulling extra frames of honey to prevent the brood box from getting honey bound.
  All of my hives except one are in the two deep configuration with no QE, going to give the single deep a try with one hive and a QE this year to see how it works out. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »
"If pollen is being stored elsewhere, then there is a problem with that hive design."

I can assure you that there is no problem with the hive design.  I use the standard 5 frame deep nuc boxes both for honey collection and for confining the queen in the bottom box with a QE on top.   

Beekeepers have this belief that you cannot make honey and bees in the first season.  In this little experiment, I have 2 deep nucs storing honey above.  Follow by 2 brood nest in the middle and the last brood box is for the queen to stay in.   The top deep nuc box full of honey/nectar is about 60 lbs. each.  The honey are 90% cap now. And our main flow is not even on yet because of cooler weather earlier this season.  Maybe in another 2 weeks that our main flow will be on mainly privet nectar. 

Lots of young bees and pollen stored in the box above the brood nest.  You cannot see a single cell of either nectar or pollen in the bottom brood box.  So it is not the hive design but rather the hive configuration that I put the queen into.  These are the standard deep nuc boxes that ML sells.  I got them last year on the holiday sale.

If you don't believe me then just before the main flow set up a 5 deep nuc hive to see for yourself.  This hive is run by this season's early Spring queen that I rear. 

First year, 5 deep nuc boxes collecting honey:   http://imgbox.com/3qO9iqWg

Though LJ is right about the subject being about single brood boxes, the above that you are trying is something that I have become interested in trying as well. I have been told that numbers will build up much faster in a 5 frame nuc than in a 10 frame box. Now, I wasn't told anything about using 5 frames as a complete hive. The guy that told of the five frame build us sells bees in package and nuc varieties. I would assume since he is producing an income from bees then it would be imperative that he uses the best method that he knows to build up these nucs, and as soon as possible. So maybe you can start a thread on this particular method that you are referring to, as I for one am interested. Thanks Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 06:37:57 am »
I thought it was well-known that the nuc-box stack is highly dynamic ?  Michael Palmer uses such twin-nuc stacks and discussed them in depth during his excellent Honey Show talk back in 2013 - a video of which can be seen viewed or downloaded from: https://www.you-tube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A  (remove the hyphen between you and tube for the link)

Yes - it's a very good way of keeping bees, providing you can keep on top of things - or else they'll swarm.  Suggest a separate thread is started to discuss this.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:32 am »
I thought it was well-known that the nuc-box stack is highly dynamic ?  Michael Palmer uses such twin-nuc stacks and discussed them in depth during his excellent Honey Show talk back in 2013 - a video of which can be seen viewed or downloaded from: https://www.you-tube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A  (remove the hyphen between you and tube for the link)

Yes - it's a very good way of keeping bees, providing you can keep on top of things - or else they'll swarm.  Suggest a separate thread is started to discuss this.
LJ

Remember LJ I'm new 😁. A lot of things that are well known by many of you are still mysteries to me, but I'm trying to catch up 😁. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 05:19:47 am »
OP:  "Do any of you guys run hives with only one brood box and honey supers?"

To answer a general question I have the general answer.  Yes, it is a single brood (5 frames deep nuc) box using a QE on top with honey supers. 

@ LJ "I'm beginning to understand why the guys on BeeSource gave you such a hard time over there " 

Maybe I got the OP's answer wrong with my nuc hives set up.  It may not be a 10 deep standard hive but the OP is not specific enough.   If my interpretation is off then I apologize to all of you.   People will give you a hard time because not of who you are but of what they perceived you to be in their minds.  I am not a perfect person yet but in time I can be with self-improvement and learning from everyone on this forum.   Perhaps it is better that we take the personal side in a PM conversation.   This way we can get all the misunderstanding clarify if there is any.   

About the 60 lbs. bee box full of honey.  With equipment and all it sure feels that way although I did not weight it yet.  It is heavy though!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 07:53:17 am »

"Maybe I got the OP's answer wrong with my nuc hives set up.  It may not be a 10 deep standard hive but the OP is not specific enough."

One brood box topic, is pretty specific!  You said you ran 3 brood boxes correct?

"If my interpretation is off then I apologize. "

I don't know how your interpretation could have been off?

"People will give you a hard time because not of who you are but of what they perceived you to be in their minds. "

Your name in itself suggest to Everyone that you are a beepro. Bee pro means a bee professional.  Someone who calls themselves a bee pro automatically takes on a lot of responsibility, and should indeed be a bee pro. Right? Is this not how you wish to be perceived? Are you a professional bee keeper? Is this how you make you living? What do you want people to perceive you to be in their minds? I don't understand your statement!!

"About the 60 lbs. bee box full of honey.  With equipment and all it sure feels that way although I did not weight it yet.  It is heavy though! "

You said that if we don't believe this then try it. Now you are saying that's it's heavy.  One persons "heavy" may not equal sixty pounds. Only the scale can accurately give a true weight. Yet you said it weighed sixty pounds, Correct? Not meaning to be hard on you but a pro should be accurate on their statements, correct?

I did however, tell you that I am interested in your 5 box experiment and perhaps if you started a new thread , I would be interested. Someone here did indeed start this thread for you and as I am writing this, you have yet to comment there?
Look it up and tell us all about it, but accurately please.  Thanks , Phillip

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 02:57:00 pm »
Thanks, Ben for clarifying the misunderstanding.  Under rapid beeyard growth forum, I've started this post: using 5 frames as a complete hive to collect honey
Take a look to see if I can give you some insight there should you have any question.   I've also set up anther 5 level deep nucs side-by-side with this hive to compare the 2 for honey collection.

Yes, even though it is a 5 level deep nucs tall, I've used a modified plastic QE to contain the queen in the bottom brood box.  So this little bee experiment is
indeed a "single brood box" set up at the bottom.   I read the title of a post and then its content because beekeepers tend to be a little vague in their questions.

Maybe you are right about my screen name.   People will perceived me as a bee "pro" just by it.    That is why I said, not knowing who you are they just think of who you are inside their head.   By a screen name alone it is not that fair to me or anybody else.    Just the same as judging a book by its cover or a title of a post without going deeper into its contents.   This mistake I have made before so already learned my lesson from it.   Thanks, Ben, without you there will be more misunderstanding.   You ask all the right questions to get things back on track again.    Great job!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 08:32:12 pm »
Thanks, Ben for clarifying the misunderstanding.  Under rapid beeyard growth forum, I've started this post: using 5 frames as a complete hive to collect honey
Take a look to see if I can give you some insight there should you have any question.   I've also set up anther 5 level deep nucs side-by-side with this hive to compare the 2 for honey collection.

Yes, even though it is a 5 level deep nucs tall, I've used a modified plastic QE to contain the queen in the bottom brood box.  So this little bee experiment is
indeed a "single brood box" set up at the bottom.   I read the title of a post and then its content because beekeepers tend to be a little vague in their questions.

Maybe you are right about my screen name.   People will perceived me as a bee "pro" just by it.    That is why I said, not knowing who you are they just think of who you are inside their head.   By a screen name alone it is not that fair to me or anybody else.    Just the same as judging a book by its cover or a title of a post without going deeper into its contents.   This mistake I have made before so already learned my lesson from it.   Thanks, Ben, without you there will be more misunderstanding.   You ask all the right questions to get things back on track again.    Great job!

Thank you beepro, I will have to tell you that I derived no pleasure in my response to you in my previous comments. My intentions were firm but as honest as I could put down. Many folks might have have been wroth with me for asking such direct questions because sometimes pride will take over and the true point or intention can be very easily lost. I am so happy that you are not wroth with me or mad at me for saying what I said or asking what I asked to you. In fact I really struggled with this with-in myself as thinking the words that I wrote to you might be taken in a negative way and thus, creating a wedge between you and myself, and that is something that I do not intend to do with you or anyone else..  It was my intention to help you and not only you but each of us to see things more clearly and understand one another, not to cause animosity, but prevent it. Even now my respect for you has increased many fold. And as I wrote the previous, I meant you no disrespect.
Thank you so much for seeing this clearly and may I say; God Bless you my friend!!  Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 09:47:53 pm »
Ben, I'm glad that we are clear.  No worries!   
One thing I learn so far this year is that we all carry a sense of self-assumption that often cloud our judgement.  I have it too being only human.  So I like to share a little story.  This little story goes, at one time there is a happy son and father living together.  Mom passed away 10 years ago.  So after his son's high school graduation they are going to pick a brand new car that the son really like for his present. 
The day of the son's graduation came and instead of giving his son a car in the drive way, the father gave him a book.  He got so mad that he threw the book into the trash can in his bedroom without even looking into it.  The book never got open and the son ran away from home never to see his father again.  Fast forward 30 years later when the dad died that the son got a phone call about it.   He went back home to discover that the book he threw there that day was still there--never open.   Want to know the conclusion of this story?   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 10:28:48 pm »
Ben, I'm glad that we are clear.  No worries!   
One thing I learn so far this year is that we all carry a sense of self-assumption that often cloud our judgement.  I have it too being only human.  So I like to share a little story.  This little story goes, at one time there is a happy son and father living together.  Mom passed away 10 years ago.  So after his son's high school graduation they are going to pick a brand new car that the son really like for his present. 
The day of the son's graduation came and instead of giving his son a car in the drive way, the father gave him a book.  He got so mad that he threw the book into the trash can in his bedroom without even looking into it.  The book never got open and the son ran away from home never to see his father again.  Fast forward 30 years later when the dad died that the son got a phone call about it.   He went back home to discover that the book he threw there that day was still there--never open.   Want to know the conclusion of this story?

Yes I would, you have my attention ..

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 12:51:18 pm »

I just read you findings on you topic "using 5 frames as a complete hive to collect honey" under the heading Rapid Beeyard Growth. I  have commented there. You have really done your homework on this topic! Let us know you finding as you progress along on your experiment. Thanks Phillip Hall

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 06:16:47 pm »
Back to original topic,
We use full depth supers and brood box, if you are a migratory bee keeper then single brood box and QX is the norm.
Too much weight shifting hives three high.
Stationary hives three boxes high, QX optional but if you use one then 2 brood boxes is good.