Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 45863 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #240 on: December 22, 2023, 03:29:49 pm »
I won?t worry about it. The gold was weighed before cleaning and then again after. The pieces that were lost were very small so it was no great loss. I also washed a honey bucket last night and the sink was filled with water to get the job done. The gold would most likely have been pushed through the S bend. When I was out in the bush I did have an interesting find which has never happened before. Normally when a target is detected, a pick is used to dig it out and then a plastic scoop is utilised to recover the target. The  scoop which is filled with soil from the pile of dirt and is then passed over the detector coil. If you hear a sound from the detector, you know that the metallic target is in the scoop. If you hear no sound, the target is obviously still in the pile of dirt and the process is repeated. To find the piece of gold(or junk), half of the material in the scoop is tipped into your hand. The scoop is again passed over the coil. If the detector makes a noise, the gold is still in the scoop. If it doesn?t, you know that it is in your hand. Either way, the material that you have left has reduced by half. This method of dividing is used until the gold is spotted. Quite often you can get down to a few grains of gravel before you spot what you are after.  I was going through this process at one stage yesterday and as I halved the spoils, I noticed a small piece of gold in my hand. I tested the material that was in the scoop and the machine still made a noise. I therefore had two pieces of gold at that point. When I carefully checked all of the soil, three small pieces of gold resulted. That is the first time that situation has arisen for me while detecting.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2024, 05:14:54 am »
A mate and I walked into a steep gully to detect for a bit of gold. My mate found a rock bar that held some gold so we dug it out and detected as we went. We ended up with 6 pieces each for the day. It was drizzling with rain for most of the day but it was cool only reaching about 20degrees C which made it very pleasant. The gold was a nice bonus.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2024, 03:45:34 pm »
 Thumbs up!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2024, 04:53:59 am »
Today was a choice between mowing the lawn or heading out into the bush prospecting. After serious consideration a choice was made. It was a good day out apart from being attacked by a few hungry leaches.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2024, 10:07:33 am »
There have been really big storms where my parents live so we will hit the rivers there in early summer and do some digging and panning.  Found a tiny bit last year but we were in to popular a spot.  We need to do better.

Congrats on your bits.  when do you put it all together and cash in?   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2024, 01:53:37 am »
Three of the bits were picked up in a dry creek bed. We have had a couple of floods in the last couple of months and they moved a lot of gravel and rocks. The small bits of gold will be combined and melted down into ingots to be sold to a gold buyer.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2024, 09:21:01 am »
Three of the bits were picked up in a dry creek bed. We have had a couple of floods in the last couple of months and they moved a lot of gravel and rocks. The small bits of gold will be combined and melted down into ingots to be sold to a gold buyer.
Do you melt it yourself? I occasionally think about melting my brass and copper scrap into ingots.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2024, 03:37:34 pm »
Have a look at reply #24 on this thread. Easier to get rid of the small bits that way. Larger nuggets tend to have more value as a collectors piece rather than being melted down and sold as scrap.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2024, 03:43:18 pm »
OK, nice! I'll have to snoop around and see what I can find on what it takes to do that. I do have an acetylene/oxygen setup.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2024, 03:45:25 am »
Took a guy I know out for a swing today. It was cool and overcast which made the day quite pleasant. The pieces were  small but the number was good. I feel lucky to be able to find gold locally.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2024, 03:01:58 am »
My mate and I had a good day out today picking up 30 pieces between us for just under 6 grams. Wish it was always that good.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2024, 05:23:56 am »
We went out for a look up the same gully that produced some nice pieces a couple of weeks ago. My mate and I decided to work together to get some of the hard work done and then share the gold at the end of the day. We had an amazing day with 47 pieces found between us. I?ll post a picture of my share after I clean it.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2024, 08:50:52 am »
Very nice. I don't suffer from jealousy often but right now I am feeling it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2024, 09:33:16 am »
Awesome!! Y'all have found a good spot!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2024, 06:11:13 am »
My share of the gold. Looks good when it?s clean.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2024, 07:26:05 am »
How do you clean it? I have a couple of small rocks that I gathered off the ground in Alaska that are quartz with plaster gold embedded in it. If I put it in my pocket and let it roll around for about a week, the gold cleans up pretty good. Without it being cleaned, it just looks like a white rock with black specks in it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2024, 08:20:03 am »
My share of the gold. Looks good when it?s clean.

Thumbs Up!
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2024, 10:58:59 am »
Very nice. I don't suffer from jealousy often but right now I am feeling it.

Gold seems to have that effect on some!  :cheesy: :wink: 

North To Alaska
Johnny Horton

https://youtu.be/BLONWy46gIE?si=1gcsBkve3prOH7oT

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2024, 04:07:49 pm »
I roughly clean the gold in an ultrasonic cleaner. That?s the result of the cleaning in the last photo. Eventually I will soak the gold in a mild acid and leave it for a few weeks to remove some of the persistent stains and dissolve some of the ironstone or quartz that may be present in the nuggets. After such a good day out we decided to follow up yesterday. We worked the same area and moved further upstream. The gold was generally smaller and we worked hard all day. The result was still good and we were very happy with what we found. I managed to film some of the finds to show what we do. A YouTube video should follow at some point.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2024, 08:35:05 pm »
https://youtu.be/Tz7A3UbUBT4?si=GZPfdv4fVjh11GD5

Here?s a link to a clip that a mate and I put together yesterday. It?s raw and unrefined and should give you some idea of what we have been doing.