Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone use Imirie shims?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
Anyone use Imirie shims?
« on: May 14, 2021, 10:01:12 am »
I have never used them, curious if anyone on here does and if you find them beneficial (either notched or solid)
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Anyone use Imirie shims?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:22 am »
I use imrie shims all the time.  They are great for adding a top entrance to a hive or adding a little bit of space to accommodate a baggie feeder or a drip tray underneath a jar feeder if you are worried about leaks.  I also use them above my moisture quilts in the winter to control how open my vent holes are.  With one shim my telescoping tops cover the holes about halfway, and with two shims the holes are fully open.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:34:43 am »
I use imrie shims all the time.  They are great for adding a top entrance to a hive or adding a little bit of space to accommodate a baggie feeder or a drip tray underneath a jar feeder if you are worried about leaks.  I also use them above my moisture quilts in the winter to control how open my vent holes are.  With one shim my telescoping tops cover the holes about halfway, and with two shims the holes are fully open.         
Thanks member. They seem to me to be a good option for all the reasons you listed. I like the idea of having a more direct entrance to a honey super while the flow is on, but wasn't sure if that would also give more opportunities to pests and robbers. I do plan on using for spacers as well.
I'm interested to hear more about this moisture quilt you are talking about. I want some tips for overwintering. At this point I'm more concerned about getting my young colonies to overwinter and hit it strong next spring. I'm not expecting to get much in the way of honey this year.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Northernbeek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 10:53:18 am »
I use them for new packages to have the queen cage on top of the frames, I don?t leave them in any longer than necessary because the bees can make a mess in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:16 am »
I'm interested to hear more about this moisture quilt you are talking about. I want some tips for overwintering. At this point I'm more concerned about getting my young colonies to overwinter and hit it strong next spring. I'm not expecting to get much in the way of honey this year.
Sure, I'll show you my setup.  Maybe start a new thread on that though, just because that seems kind of off topic here.

I use them for new packages to have the queen cage on top of the frames, I don?t leave them in any longer than necessary because the bees can make a mess in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do have to watch this with shims.  An added shim screws up the bee space between boxes or between boxes and covers, so it's something to keep a close eye on if the bees are in a drawing mood so they don't fill up that dead space with comb. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Old Goat

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 11:03:42 am »
I use them as member said to be able to add a top entrance during the flow (I don't like to drill holes in my woodenware) but I also like to use them to feed pollen patties. The bees are able to get at the top and the bottom of the patty this way. It seems to help with small hive beetle.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 12:00:10 pm »
Imirie shims?  A very handy bit of equipment, great for all sorts of things including adding, sugar/candy boards, space between brood boxes to add some treatments.
Also used them under medium boxes so I could temporarily use the boxes as deeps. I have lots and use them often.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 02:53:36 pm »
Never knew that they had a name. I've been using shims or shallow spacers on my hives for years. My latest use for a notched spacer is with a OAV wand so I can treat a hive or nuc without honey supers on from the top instead of the front entrance.