Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Made a new beek.  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Made a new beek.
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
Last year a fella on the edge of town called me to ask what he should do with a swarm that went into his shed.  I went out and took a peek.  They went into a knot hole and ended up between the studs.  He then told me they were there since July.  It was September when he called.

So we peeled back the plywood inside the shed and discovered they were doing quite well and we decided to let them try to overwinter where they were.  He put some insulation on the outside and inside as best he could.....then the long wait.

A couple of weeks ago our bees started flying but it was only 40 deg f or so.  I went over to his place to check things out and he was very disappointed. ?I don?t think they made it? he said sorrowfully.  I told him to wait until it got 50 deg f and then we could better assess the situation. 

I stopped by today as we have had temps close to 50 the past couple of days and today was in fact 51.  Well, they survived.  He was brimming ear to ear and couldn?t wait to get them in a box.  His son gave him a beekeeping book for Christmas and has been waiting patiently to see his bees.

I?ve never done a cutout before so I?m a bit apprehensive about it.  I know we?ll have to wait until it gets a bit warmer.  I?m going to give him a box as a gift.  I really want him to be successful.
You are what you think.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Made a new beek.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:06:01 pm »
Last year a fella on the edge of town called me to ask what he should do with a swarm that went into his shed.  I went out and took a peek.  They went into a knot hole and ended up between the studs.  He then told me they were there since July.  It was September when he called.

So we peeled back the plywood inside the shed and discovered they were doing quite well and we decided to let them try to overwinter where they were.  He put some insulation on the outside and inside as best he could.....then the long wait.

A couple of weeks ago our bees started flying but it was only 40 deg f or so.  I went over to his place to check things out and he was very disappointed. ?I don?t think they made it? he said sorrowfully.  I told him to wait until it got 50 deg f and then we could better assess the situation. 

I stopped by today as we have had temps close to 50 the past couple of days and today was in fact 51.  Well, they survived.  He was brimming ear to ear and couldn?t wait to get them in a box.  His son gave him a beekeeping book for Christmas and has been waiting patiently to see his bees.

I?ve never done a cutout before so I?m a bit apprehensive about it.  I know we?ll have to wait until it gets a bit warmer.  I?m going to give him a box as a gift.  I really want him to be successful.

To build your coffidence, I would suggest you watching JP and Schawee doing cutouts and making an art of it. Especially the older videos. I watched each one before doing my first cutout. Watch closely. Note where they start and where they proceed in each cutout, observe how they actually use the knife as art work, cutting the comb just right so it won't fall yet enabling them to gently work it off. It was easy for me after the "schooling" from these two "cutout doctors" I am sure you will be able to say the same if you follow their lead. Also, if you have questions and can't get hold of these two immediately, Jim here is a dang good cut out man also and I am positive he will help you in any way.
Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:44:03 am »
Aroc,
As mentioned watch JPs videos first. Once you watch one it will take you to JPs site on utube and you can watch hundreds of his videos. Also under Honey Bee Removals, way back, look for Hardwood?s videos. Peggy and Scott made a lot of good Removal videos until his house burned to the ground.
Do not give the bees the honey comb. Just the brood comb. If you want, you can give it back to them after 3 days but not right away.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:32 pm »

Do not give the bees the honey comb. Just the brood comb. If you want, you can give it back to them after 3 days but not right away.
Jim Altmiller

Why?  Curious
You are what you think.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:24 pm »
I can?t speak for Jim but I would like to guess at the reason for no honey comb.

To prevent Absconding is the only reason I can guess.  To me, the brood comb should prevent absconding, you agree Jim or others?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:44:06 pm »
Aroc,
Two reasons, first, the honey will bee dripping all over the hive especially the bottom and kill bees and secondly, the hive beetles will bee laying eggs in it while the bees are fixing the brood comb the SHB larvae hatch out and slime the hive. Once the slime gets to a certain point the bees abscond.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:49 pm »
well i feel better about giving the honey away from the swarms/trappout. quetion are you dropping th beees into  new frames  then?
I rubberbanded the brood pollen combs to foundationless frames and added a few foundation frAMES
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 09:38:48 pm »
Like you did, I rubber banded the brood comb into empty frames. If it is a small amount of bees I will give them foundation less frames.  If there are a lot of bees I will add drawn comb because I have lots of it and with lots of bees the queen will start laying lots of eggs and build the hive up very quickly.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 11:09:19 pm »
What a great story Aroc!
3 years from now the guy is going to be sporting 50 hives.  ;)
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:10 pm »
Aroc,
Two reasons, first, the honey will bee dripping all over the hive especially the bottom and kill bees and secondly, the hive beetles will bee laying eggs in it while the bees are fixing the brood comb the SHB larvae hatch out and slime the hive. Once the slime gets to a certain point the bees abscond.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks for the info.  Right now we don?t have the privilege of SHB in Montana.  At least no real sightings of it but the dripping honey definitely makes sense.
You are what you think.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »
iddee let me tag along on a cutout about 10 years ago
it was in a house being demolished to make way to expand a farmers market
he had a bee vac and worked in short sleeves with no veil
that's what got me hooked

thanks buddy :cool:

anything