Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Local Bees  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Local Bees
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:50 am »
"Pick the hive model that is best suited to your locale, populate it with local bees, and the results will speak for themselves" Georges de Layens, "The Complete Course in Apiculture" 1892
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Local Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:38:56 pm »
"Pick the hive model that is best suited to your locale, populate it with local bees, and the results will speak for themselves" Georges de Layens, "The Complete Course in Apiculture" 1892

I Got my first hives via cutouts. Not only were they local but also hardy and the small size bee. Dark in color yet gentle and hard workers. I later in the fall I made splits from these by purchasing  some queens from Georgia at about the same Latitude as am I. Nice gentle hard workers, great laying queens which produce a yellow tinted bee.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.