Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beekeeping differences  (Read 1318 times)

Offline hannabee

• New Bee
beekeeping differences
« on: March 20, 2019, 02:35:25 pm »
so my first bee house is set up and I am planning on just trying and attracting bees, but I am still making my bee house for the honeybees. Are there different proto calls for tending for the different bees? for the honeybees will I need to acquire a bee suit? or do I need a bee suit for both types of bees. (I am planning on purchasing honeybees). Can I just use a makeshift bee suit? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in the bee community, and my continuous questions, thank you all for helping :)
eat cheese, plants trees, and save the bees

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: beekeeping differences
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:58 pm »
for bees like Mason bees you won't actually be working them.  They just do their thing and the most you have to worry about is keeping some mud for them.  Since we are not sure what kind of bees you are thinking of trying to attract, you probably need to research that particular type but solitary bees like Mason don't need much.

Honeybees you work and so some protection for at least your face is a good idea.  I like the economy jackets from Mann Lake.  They are relatively inexpensive and hold up well. 

when you get ready to buy beekeeping supplies do a search here.  There are a number of posts over the years that will help you avoid buying things you don't need, and getting the right kind of things you do need. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 07:58:54 am »
so my first bee house is set up and I am planning on just trying and attracting bees, but I am still making my bee house for the honeybees. Are there different proto calls for tending for the different bees? for the honeybees will I need to acquire a bee suit? or do I need a bee suit for both types of bees. (I am planning on purchasing honeybees). Can I just use a makeshift bee suit? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in the bee community, and my continuous questions, thank you all for helping :)

IF you really wanted to "makeshift" you could go to the thrift store and get a hat with a brim and some wedding veil material of a dark color (you want it to be easy to see thru) and make a veil to keep bees off your face and neck. Fashion it with some kind of cord or elastic or some way to keep it down around your collar. And pick up a light-colored, non-fuzzy, long-sleaved shirt with a collar (like a dress shirt), you'll appreciate if it has pockets.  And a box of nitril/latex gloves from walmart - bees don't really sting thru them, it's amazing. That should get you started.  While at walmart pick up a bottle of  Benadryl or similar for just-in-case.

For all that work, though, my preferred veil (I tried several) was $25 new.

THANK YOU for asking about mason bees on this forum, it reminded me that I was going to explore keeping them as well as honey bees and your post got me moving.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:14:47 am »
Hannabee you are going to get much better help if you update your profile with your location.  Beekeeping is very local.  Yes there are the basics but success is based on local information.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 09:20:11 am »
As mentioned already, some of this depends on what kind of bees you are talking about.  Generally people are talking about honey bees on this forum, though other bees come up sometimes.  If we are talking about honey bees:

>so my first bee house is set up and I am planning on just trying and attracting bees

I assume this is for solitary bees since the last half of this sentence is about honey bees, so yes, just wait.

>...but I am still making my bee house for the honeybees. Are there different proto calls for tending for the different bees?

As mentioned solitary bees will take care of themselves for the most part.  You can store the bee house somewhere for winter (depending on your winter) but even in my bitter cold I don't and they seem to do fine.

>... for the honeybees will I need to acquire a bee suit? or do I need a bee suit for both types of bees.

I would say you need a minimum of a veil but I mostly use a ventilated jacket with a zip on veil.  Worth the cost and you will feel much safer.

> (I am planning on purchasing honeybees). Can I just use a makeshift bee suit?

There are people who use the tyvek coveralls as a makeshift bee suit, but the veil won't be zipped on and the suit is very hot.  If your bees are nice enough (and some are) you can get by with just a veil, shorts and a tee shirt.  If they are very defensive that will not be enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:44:27 pm »
thank you!
eat cheese, plants trees, and save the bees

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:59:18 am »
I hope you enjoy your honey bees! The last thing you will want to do is to go into this ill equipped, Until you become familar with the handleing of the bees, the more comfortable and  confiIdent you are in the beginning the better your experiences and pleasures will be with your bees. I  started just last spring myself even though I "helped" my uncle when I was still a teenager, and let me add, really I didn't do much to help haa haa. And learned little because I was ill equipped!! Anyway, last spring I ordered my first bee suit, full cotton suit with veil attached. Looked good in th catalog, and cheap! Upon first use, I like to have burnt up! A mistake for my situation. I live in N Mississippi. It didn't take me but a few minutes time to learn that a vented jacket was in order. I shopped around and purchaced the jacket described by Kathy.
 At the time I didn't know that this jacket was so popular but irreguardless, it is the way to go for a beginner as myself far as I am concerned. This year I doubt that I will use it unless one of the hives wake up in an extra bad mood. A veil is what I plan on using (when I take the time to order one). Until then, the man lake vented jacket is fine as well as comfortable on those hot days which are to come. I tried the homemade veil route similar to what was described earlier; when I was a teenager. No fun when three or four mad 😡 bees crawl under to join you! Haa haa
Best of bees to you 🐝!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.