Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring today, freeze tomorrow  (Read 1460 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Spring today, freeze tomorrow
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:32:52 pm »
My two hives saw their first over 50 degree day here in Michigan since winter started. It will be back to freezing tomorrow. (I'm not near my hives right now) I'm thinking they will not venture out unless there is a row of warm days and be ok?

Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Spring today, freeze tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:08 pm »
Yes Sir, Flex, it?s been rather cooler than normal for my area, Arkansas, also.  Currently, my bees can forage about every other day: highs,, 65F one day, next 45F.  No complaints, Spring is on its way and not much blooming now anyway.  I estimate one more week for N Arkansas and blooms everywhere.

I saw HP in Canada experience a heat wave, Yes Sir, a whooping 5 C, that is 5 degrees above freezing.  I am certainly humbled by the Northern beeks.  Today 55F at my house, but so windy my bees are staying put.

Oh man, Mr. Jim, our administrator, has already collected 3 swarms in his Florida area whereas I have yet to inspect a hive due to chill.

So hang in there Flex, spring will be here/there soon, very soon.  Myself, yep, you guessed it: I am so anxious I can hardly stand it.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:17:46 am »

So hang in there Flex, spring will be here/there soon, very soon.  Myself, yep, you guessed it: I am so anxious I can hardly stand it.
Blessings

Well, if mine do peek their heads out they won't see nothing but snow for weeks!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:52 pm »
If it is fifty and your bees have not come out for a long while, If they are alive and can get out, I am thinking they would be out.  Dead bees can block lower entrances and prevent the bees from taking cleansing flights.  You might want to check.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:17:00 pm »
If it is fifty and your bees have not come out for a long while, If they are alive and can get out, I am thinking they would be out.  Dead bees can block lower entrances and prevent the bees from taking cleansing flights.  You might want to check.

Vance,
Thank goodness they didn't come out. Dead Bee's were at the entrance but I took care of that.
Thanks,
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 09:46:43 pm »
The good news is that for the eastern part of the nation, once we get past the next couple of days, it looks like the forecast is for above average temps :cool:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:12 am »
The good news is that for the eastern part of the nation, once we get past the next couple of days, it looks like the forecast is for above average temps :cool:

Amen!
Check out my Blog!:

anything