Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits  (Read 9025 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Splits
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
Most of the boxes had lots of bees, brood, pollen and honey. Some I had to shuffle frames around to provide all 4. Some only ended up with 2 brood frames and a few extra bees added in. We kept notes on what each stack had. We will find out how each one worked out at BeeFest.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:50 pm »
. And my wife found she had a hole in her veil :shocked:

Did you wife get stung???  I hope not.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 01:54:36 am »
@sawdust: I assume you don`t have a major flow on right now, so you can do this and either these nucs will have develeoped to bring in honey on the next flow or are you plannoing to sell nks?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 06:35:26 am »
BFB,
We still have maple and some fruit trees blooming, I has also seen Redbud blooming. Not major blooms but enough for build up. Our major bloom is gallberry, Palmetto, and Blackgum. They run from April to mid June. Our weather usually allows us to split and then build up for the flow. The bees are in town and I will move them here just before BeeFest. Once here I will have to feed them until the flow starts.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 11:12:06 am »

Yes took two to the face. She swelled up pretty good. She laughed it off as a hazard of the job and bought a new veil. She came up with our name during it Sweetest stings, and we are making mead from some honey last year and we?re naming that batch ? Holy veil?

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:11 pm »
Sold the first 15 nuc splits today. They are on it up by the lake. Drew out a new frame in each this week.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 04:38:09 pm »

Yes took two to the face. She swelled up pretty good. She laughed it off as a hazard of the job and bought a new veil. She came up with our name during it Sweetest stings, and we are making mead from some honey last year and we?re naming that batch ? Holy veil?

That is a good one, Holy Veil.  Sorry the wife got stung but sounds like she is a keeper with sence of humor.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »
Sold the first 15 nuc splits today. They are on it up by the lake. Drew out a new frame in each this week.
congrats  re checking all mine tomorrow

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 06:22:26 pm »
Did 10 between Friday and today. Got them in the nuc yard with 5 others. Buyer coming next weekend to pick them up. Have 10 more to do in the south part of the county in a couple weeks.

You are on the ball. How did you get the queens hatched or emerged, mated, and laying so fast?  Do you raise your own queens?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:57:06 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »
BarHopper, good for you.  I enjoy the post by beeks in warm climate such as your area.  I am so anxious for my bees, still cold in N Ar.  Your area, central Fl, is prime bee country.
Blessings

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:53 pm »
Jim-Saw,
So when they make Q-cells in upper 2,  ? Do you set boxes off,  to let Q hatch and mate?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
Jim-Saw,
So when they make Q-cells in upper 2,  ? Do you set boxes off,  to let Q hatch and mate?
No. The queens hatch in the stack and mate while still on the stack. That is why I wait 30 days from when I place the double screens.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 09:03:13 pm »
I pull queens from my big hives and let big hives make new queens. Sell the Nucs with the over wintered queens. I usually try to wait until before the big spring flow to pull queens but they wouldn?t wait this year. I?ve got a new yard on Orange lake that turning out to be really good. Willows blooming to beat the band.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 09:07:40 pm »
Yes I do raise my own but on a very limited scale.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 01:21:24 am »
Thanks Barhopper, sounds like a good plan!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 02:15:16 pm »
Thanks Jim for all the info.
So you don't worry that newly mated Q will enter the wrong box ?
Could you show some pics. of your screens?  I was going to try and make Q's this year.  To increase a feral hive i have and haven't decided what method.  Thanks again.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 02:36:01 pm »
Forgot to ask . is there sugar water on hives or a community feeder ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:44 am »
Thanks Jim for all the info.
So you don't worry that newly mated Q will enter the wrong box ?
Could you show some pics. of your screens?  I was going to try and make Q's this year.  To increase a feral hive i have and haven't decided what method.  Thanks again.
The queens have not had any problems finding their way back to the correct box.
I do not have a picture of the double screens on hand. We are going to a Stone Age Primitive Arts Festival today over in the pan handle. As soon as I get a chance I will take a picture.
To make them, I cut a 1/2? by 3/4? strips of wood with 45 degree ends that are the sizes of the box and use a staple gun to connect The miter ends. Then I staple window screen on both sides. That is all it is.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 07:47:22 am »
Forgot to ask . is there sugar water on hives or a community feeder ?
I only end up with sugar fondant jars on the top boxes. I do not community feed. I make sure all boxes have honey. The bottom box has the queen, it is the only one that can abscond. That has been my biggest problem this time of the year when the maple flow stops. Right now they are bringing in lots of honey. And they are growing fast.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:00 pm »
Well checked on some of my checkerbording hives and they were building well. This frame was new on Saturday also my veil had a hole  I think it was from my new hive tools being razor sharp bumped my veil, got lucky just a face full of bees no stings :cool:

anything