Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it time to watch for swarms yet in Arkansas?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Is it time to watch for swarms yet in Arkansas?
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:07:46 am »
Stupid swarm question.  We have had an unseasonable erratic winter, quite warm with short hard freeze and cold snaps.  Temps are now in mid to upper 80's day time and 50's - 60's at night.  In the past two months I've noticed an occasional bee or two checking out a couple dresser drawers stacked up on each other.  They'll go in for a couple to 5+ minutes then come out.  Their direction is not back to my hives but in two other directions.  My hives are building comb like crazy right now.  Is it possible that they are swarm scouts?  If they are does anyone have a clue when we normally have swarm activity in Arkansas?  

I noticed when I had lemongrass oil out my bees were very much attracted to it and checked it out.  

Thanks,
        David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:52:33 am »
people are finding swarms up north so it should be time also in your area. those bee's you see could be scouts are just foragers from your hives just inspecting before they go foraging, you may never know for sure. but its always good to have swarm traps out because you never know when a hive might swarm.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 12:15:00 am »
I found six swarm cells in a nuc over a week ago.  I'm a lot further North than you.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything