Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee-Z electric smoker  (Read 7888 times)

Offline syphon1

• New Bee
Bee-Z electric smoker
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:54 am »
Does anyone own a bee-Z electric smoker?  If so do you like it and is it reliable?  I was going to buy one the other day at the local beekeeping store but they advised against it, saying that of all they sold last year almost half got returned because of breakdowns.  Or was it just because they didn't have one in stock and didn't want to bother ordering one?

Thanks

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: Bee-Z electric smoker
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:28 am »
No way??? That cant be real? Surely? :? :?
Shane

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
Google search shows it is a real product. Who knows if it works.

Company says they have a 30 day money back guarantee and a 1 year warranty.

shrug.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »
Send a PM to member BoBn -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6244

I believe he was one of the early prototype users and I believe appeared in a number of advertisements for it.

Let us know what you find out.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »
If the supply house advises that you don't spend money with them for a reason, I might listen.   

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:53 am »
Send a PM to member BoBn -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6244

I believe he was one of the early prototype users and I believe appeared in a number of advertisements for it.

Let us know what you find out.
Hi Robo,
Thanks for the PM.
I did a video ad for them. They are a young couple and were in one of my bee school classes that I taught. They also have several inventions that are not bee related.

I started keeping bees (by accident) in 1976.   I had 12 hives around 1979 - 1982.  Since then, I have kept 2 or 3 or a half dozen.  I am by no means a big beekeeper.  Over the years, I have brought observation hives into elementary schools, helped several 4-H clubs start hives, taught bee school classes to new beekeepers, and helped a bunch of folks with their bees.

I rarely use smoke, but when I use smoke, I find that a slight waft of smoke and some patience to wait for a few minutes (a few minutes is a long time) is all that is needed.  In the past, I have had some hot-tailed bees and I think that the same is true with those bees too.

Smoke disorientates the bees.  That is what it does.  It is not a good thing to do, but sometimes it is necessary.  It requires judgement.

My smoker that I had (and still have) is a 1977 Walter T. Kelly.  It is not galvanized and is rusty. It has no guard around the firebox.  I have patched the rotted out bottom with a tin can lid.  It came with an internal (soupcan) chamber that has been replaced many times.  It has a few holes in the bellows, but still works.

So, now you know that I do not use much smoke.   Many times I have gone to help new beekeepers with a hive inspection and have them light a smoker and set the smoker aside where it is handy if needed.   Usually I can get through a hive without thrashing and bashing look at the core of the brood nest and put everything back together without much disturbance.  I often mash a  bee or 2 putting all the supers back together (sometimes none!) and I often get a sting on my hand.  Usually the smoker is just starting to really get fired up when it is not needed.

The electric smoker has a battery pack that powers a fan and and electric heating unit.  Pine shavings work great in the electric smoker.  You can get a bale at a sawmill or a livestock feed store. 
The heating unit smolders the shavings.  It takes about 10 - 15 seconds to get smoke.  There should not be any flames coming out the spout.

The smoker I can bring with me and never use.
When I do use it, it works.  It is similar to a cordless drill.  It saves time.

Some people swear by them and some people swear at them.  I haven't had any problems with mine.

BoB

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
I used the bee z for a year.  Had it replaced twice for a burned/faulty heating element by the manufacturer.  I found it difficult to get going.  I ditched it and have a traditional smoker.  I can get a smoker it in 20 seconds.  The bee z when lit works great.  The fan really puts out a lot of smoke....maybe too much.  The biggest down side was the battery seemed to die when you needed it the most.....then you are out of buisness until charged again.

I would save the money and buy a traditional.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »
I can get a smoker it in 20 seconds. 

That is something that not many people can do.  I would call that incredible. I would like to learn how you do that.
You can start a smoker in 20 seconds

I use very thin white birch bark shavings that light instantly to burn some 1/16" white cedar strips, to burn pine needles or burlap, but it takes me a good 3 minutes or more to get my smoker going to the point of where I can set it down for 15 minutes and still have it going when I pick it back up.

If you come to our state meeting next July, you could help a lot of us out and win a competition.  I sent you a PM. about my contact info.

Bob
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
OK, I’ll play the devils advocate here.  If the Bee-Z can create smoke in 10 to 15 seconds, why shouldn’t Michael Bach be able to do it in 20 seconds?  Heat is heat?

For the record, it takes me forever to get good smoke  :-D

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »
OK, I’ll play the devils advocate here.  If the Bee-Z can create smoke in 10 to 15 seconds, why shouldn’t Michael Bach be able to do it in 20 seconds?  Heat is heat?

For the record, it takes me forever to get good smoke  :-D
Like I said in my earlier post, i don't use much smoke, but it would probably take me 20 seconds just to get a cigar going. 

The electric smoker doesn't use a flame.  It is a heating element.  If used properly, there is very little heat, but lots of smoldering smoke.
I had mine for a few years and have only charged the battery once a year.  I dump in a about 1/2 cup of pine shavings, squeeze the trigger for a few seconds till I have smoke.  and dump the ashes out when I am done.

I would also like to know Michael Bach's secret and have invited him to New Hampshire to teach us back-wood folk his technique.

One of the problems I have with the Beemaster Forums is all of the political  posturing and BS mixed into beekeeping (not this thread, but many of the threads) I don't often bother to read anything on this site, but I had a PM message.

BoB
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
  the secrete to getting a smoker lit fast-is all in how the smoker was extinguished the last time it was used
 if you cork the smoker and let it run out of oxygen-then the left over smoker fuel has been dried and free of
 moisture-it also is going to be burned down to just enough material to light the bottom fire-good smoke needs bottom fire
 you cant light it from the top-one wooden stick match (strike anywhere kitchen match ) will start the remnants
 of your last burn-then add to it -I see so many people trying to fill the smoker and light it from the top-it ant that hard
 :lol:  8-) RDY-B

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »
While is was not trying to brag or trying to compete I find lighting a smoker very simple.  I take thin strips of news paper and place them in the bottom and light.  Puff puff puff until a strong hot flame.  Sprinkle pine shavings and puff puff puff.  The shaving light instantly.  Puff puff puff....add a handful of shavings.....puff puff puff....smoke smoke smoke....add shavings to the top and pack down.  Lots of smoke in a very short time.

I find the key is keeping the smoker full and reduce air space, hence packing down the shavings.

Beekeepers are some of the cheapest people I have ever met.  I say that with affection!  I will open the wallet and buy a bag of long pine shavings at the feed store for $5 and have fuel for a year.

Offline syphon1

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Maybe i'll stick to my old smoker for now.  Talked to a guy a while ago who said he uses alfalfa pellets in his smoker. He claimed he lights it once and can use it almost all day.  I think i'll try that instead.

Offline JosephParker

• Brood
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 07:24:14 am »
I need someone to recommend the best product among those listed on this site?
https://startbbq.com/best-electric-smokers/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 08:38:09 am »
I would think you could get better recommendations, and maybe other info, here:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything