Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bats Singing  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Bats Singing
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:31:19 am »
I've been reading some of the older post about bats for moth control and while perusing the internet this morning I found this about the recorded sounds of bats, and thought some of you might find it interesting.
https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/10/01/352586936/is-that-a-lark-i-hear-a-nightingale-surprise-its-a-bat

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
Re: Bats Singing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:42:42 am »
Interesting link. And thanks for the tip to search old posts for bat discussion! Do not have bees yet but do have bats. Have five bat houses on the back of our house with mostly freetails and a few (I believe) evening bats. Counted over 247 this past fall was probably higher during the summer. Just been too lazy to count them at bed time the past few years. Oh, our bats do make an audible 'chitter' at times.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:53:48 am »
So William - once bats are established in your houses, do you worry about a growing population entering and living in your attic?

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:02:27 pm »
They seem to prefer their houses to mine. First noticed a few bats in 2010 living in the eaves of our house. Not the attic. Put up the first two bat houses early spring of 2012 and within a few weeks the bats had moved into the closest of the two bat houses. Less than a foot away from where they had been. Had two pole mount bat houses for years with no luck. One of them had a few visitors and the other was never used at all. About three years ago moved both, as well as a new one, to the beside the two occupied ones.