Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: roach hive infestation?  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Sindirt

• New Bee
roach hive infestation?
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:28 am »
Hi
So what started as a small hobby, ?oh I?ll just get one hive for some honey and to watch bees do their amazing thing?, currently up to 5 hives, let?s see if I stop there!

3 of the 5 hives I bought as nucs, these are coming along nicely, quite strong and doing well generally.

2 of the 5 hives, less good These were captured swarms and bought fairly late in the season, slightly concerned particularly about 1 of the hives which isn?t too strong, currently only about 4/5 frames in use (all my hives are 8 frame full depth.) Of particular concern is a roach infestation affecting both the hives. Not talking about one or two under the lid, talking dozens scuttling around, seen them darting in an out of the comb, worried they are stealing nectar etc and not sure if they are affecting the brood? If they are stealing sure this is hampered the colonies affect at establishing themselves.

The hives are slightly unusual, a sort of double hive home made system I bought where the two hives are in effect one unit. There were a lot of saw cuts in the bottom of the hives for ventilation. I have blocked these up, trying to limit the entry points so the bees can better control unwanted entrants to the hive. The hive entrances were milk bottle cap sizes (so they can be plugged), there were two each for each hive at the top of the hive, noticed there is a lot of debris at the bottom of the hives (I try and clean this best I can when inspecting) so going to plug the top entrances and make one smaller entrance around 20mm diameter at the bottom, see if this helps the bees keep the hive cleaner and control intruders.

So, any thoughts how I can control the roach infestation? The hives are in bush at my in laws in the countryside just outside Perth and they are raised off the ground on a few bricks?.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: roach hive infestation?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:40:34 am »
They are fine. A better photo would be good. Assuming it's the species I think it is. Is it a very fast mover.? Really quick darting movement.
You'll find that the bees will sort it out if they don't want something in their hive they will kick in out.
If there is a lot of these beetles of the same age, (that is you'll find some with different markings that are older). Then they have probably hatched in the hive, sweep them out if it's annoying you. Yes close up the gaps up top, clean any crumble on the floor, and your done.
Again not positive id from the photo you've included (which sort of tells me I'm correct because they move very fast then stop then move on again, so hard to photo.) They live on decaying matter (the crumble on the hive floor).  No they won't eat the brood.
Good luck let us all know how it goes.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:52:42 am »
Bees are the cure for a roach infestation.  They will run them off.  If you see roaches in the hive proper there is too much space for the number of bees.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesspace.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sindirt

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:29:14 am »
Hi all
Thanks for the advice, yes that describes their motion very well, very quick darting and stopping motion. I've been trying to keep the tops of the frames and lid clean, will need to remove the frames to have a thorough clean of the bottom of the hive where there is some accumulated muck, hoping once done the new smaller entrance opened at the base of the hive will mean the bees can then keep on top of cleaning more easily than current top entrance. I removed surplus frame from the weakest hive to reduce the capacity relative to the bee numbers. Glad to hear it's not a major issue, and know from inspecting the other stronger hives once they get better established they will keep out unwanted intruders.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:41 am »
That beetle was actually on our list when we started to work on integrated pest management for small hive beetle, but we gave it up as it was too hard to catch. It's a friend not a foe. If they have hatched in the hive they will move out when the weather is warmer etc. The younger ones start a lighter shade of brown almost cream they get darker as they age. I think it's got potential to control wax moth in stored combs I've just not done the work to test it and then write the paper etc, almonds in 3 weeks so won't have the time this winter maybe next year. Or maybe someone with good numbers of this beetle could look into it (hint hint).
Good luck.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:17:43 pm »
Roaches in a hive are a sign of too few bees.  The roaches are not a problem, but my indicate a low density of bees which can lead to SHB and wax moth problems.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »
M.B your right about too few bees, but as it's our winter here there is not much that can be done about that. With that particular type of beetle roaming around his hive in good numbers shb and wax moth won't become an issue. Days starting to lengthen here now, more forage available if left alone for a month I would think it will be OK.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:41:54 am »
>M.B your right about too few bees, but as it's our winter here there is not much that can be done about that

A lot can be done about it.  Remove empty comb.  A box or two's worth of empty comb if you can.  It's not the NUMBER of bees it's the DENSITY of the bees you control.  Compress the hive.
-------------------

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 08:00:08 pm »
My understanding of this hive is that it's with another hive in a 8 fr box? So I'm assuming a vertical division board?? Sindirt can you explain it to us.maybe a photo
Mb are you suggesting to remove the frames that aren't in use and leave avoid? If it's already a neuc how much more compressed do you want to make it. 
I have observed this specie of beetle even in strong hives it's not a problem, but I believe going into a hive and moving frames around in winter is going to cause more problems.
My first comment to sindirt should have been what were you doing in the hive at this time of year but then I don't know where in W.A. he is and how the weather is going etc.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 02:47:26 pm »
>Mb are you suggesting to remove the frames that aren't in use and leave avoid? If it's already a neuc how much more compressed do you want to make it. 

I'm just saying that roaches running around in a hive indicate too few bees for the amount of comb.  You need more bees or less comb.
-------------------

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:17:18 am »
Those beetle are not causing any harm, the fact is that they are useful in preventing wax moth and shb. Yes they wouldn't be in a more populous hive, then neither would their food source.
I don't believe pulling a hive apart in winter would achieve anything but death of the colony.
You suggest more bees or less comb. How do you believe is the best way of achieving this.?

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 05:14:53 am »
I've had a few roaches in my hives at times and the bees don't seem to care, and they have been in the strong hives also, fast little light brown ones.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »
>How do you believe is the best way of achieving this.?

Remove any boxes that are empty comb or undrawn foundation.  If the bees aren't covering what's left, remove some of everything that is left (or the inverse... leave a little of everything) shaking the bees off the combs.  Freeze the combs.  If the bees can't cover the combs they can't take care of them and the wax moths or the small hive beetles will wipe you out.  I'm not saying you should do this because you see a cockroach but if you are seeing a lot of them, the bees are in trouble.  They have "too much house".
-------------------

Offline Sindirt

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 02:33:19 am »
Hi all
Had posted a reply but doesn't seem to have registered. Thanks for the advice, I have since removed surplus comb from the two hives to reduce the area the bees have to manage, plus added some sugar water to the weakest hive. I've been very sporadically inspecting the hives, maybe once a month as it's my first winter looking after the bees and still learning trying to gauge if they have enough honey stores etc. I try and keep inspections quick and pick decent conditions...hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 09:27:02 am »
Bees need to cover the combs.
-------------------