Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Noises in the coop  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Noises in the coop
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:01 am »
The other day (that seems to be an expression I use alot, hee hee) I was outside near the chickens' pens.  I had cleaned out both the chicken barns and had put some nice new hemlock shavings in.  The critters absolutely love it when they get fresh, clean homes.

I was outside filling up water containers and I thought for surely that there was one dilly of a fight going on in the "old" chicken coop.  This is the original chicken coop of the yard.  It is a good size, fits a fair number of chickens and is horrible to clean out because we didn't make it tall enough to fully stand up in.  I am vertically challenged, so I have taken on this chore, I am about 4 inches shorter than my Sister (I top out at about 5'2"), so it is easier for me to do it.  Oh brother, oh well.

So I thought that I had better go over and see what is going on in the house.  I put my head in their door and (we have a light on to mimic longer daylight hours) could see several chickens having the time of their life in this new sawdust.  If I didn't know better, it looked to me like how they dust bathe in the soil on those warm summer days, shavings were flying everywhere.  It was these girls, what a bunch of thumping and bumping.  When I had my head stuck in their doorway, they were all looking at me like I was out of my mind, they were really gawking at me.  This happiness in the house has encouraged me to clean out their homes even more frequently.

I don't know how often they should be cleaned, but it appears to me that once a week is not enough.  So, for the amount of time it takes to clean out the "old" chicken coop, I have been cleaning it every 3 days, this is better for me and for the birds, without a doubt in my mind.  With wintertime, they spend so much time inside that they deserve to have a really nice clean house.  Yea!!!  Good for the waist too, I seem to get a little fatter around there in the winter.  Of course, it couldn't be because of the heafty meals we eat eh?  Like the meat and mashed potatoes and gravies,  :evil: :-D :roll: huh!!!!!  Beautiful day, greatest day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything