Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Is Attitude 'Everything'" ? - Or, "The Tipping Point"  (Read 955 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
"Is Attitude 'Everything'" ? - Or, "The Tipping Point"
« on: May 07, 2023, 11:50:50 am »
My question is whether colonies have a mood.  Yes, feisty ones can have "attitude." But I'm asking for observations on whether a colony that becomes theoretically "discouraged" or "depressed" by a setback, and simply gives up.   Not an abscond, but a dwindling and dying off.

I've had several experiences when it appears this happened.  I've stopped an SHB slimeout, but the bees are already tired of wrangling larvae and cleaning cells.   When I've removed affected frames (already cleaned by bees), and condensed the bees to densely cover just a few frames - - they still seem to "give up."  This aren't  major slimeouts.   This usually happens with junior colonies with new queens, when a large colony re-queens, or in the summer dearth.

There seems to be some science that alarm pheremone will draw more SHB. So that ccould alter the tipping point. Still, it's a surprise that when they are covering healthy frames, they seem to "give up."

Your experiences? Thanks.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: "Is Attitude 'Everything'" ? - Or, "The Tipping Point"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 12:57:17 pm »
I've only had this happen once or twice, and beetles weren't really involved, but my theory about this is there is a point where there are so few worker bees, that they simply cannot keep up with all the work in the hive, and at that point, they sort of don't know what to do.  It's kinda like when you go to clean and organize a really messy room or closet, and you are so overwhelmed by how messy it is that you don't know where to start, so you just keep putting it off.  I just think that when there are so many different jobs that need doing, and none of them are getting done, the workers aren't sure which job is most important, so they don't do any of them.  Or perhaps they are trying their best, but there is simply not enough bees to make any headway on the tasks, so the hive just slowly dwindles out.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 01:31:03 pm »
I have put swarms in boxes that had slimed in the past. Even with new frames, the bees would not stay. The slime smell is still in the box.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 06:05:44 pm »
I have put swarms in boxes that had slimed in the past. Even with new frames, the bees would not stay. The slime smell is still in the box.

Same here.  Same results as Iddee....

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 07:00:36 am »
I usually leave the slimed boxes and combs out in the rain for a few months.  After that they seem to accept them fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 08:09:18 am »
It would seem like a natural hive in the wild would never get used again once slimmed.  I don't think that is the case but I don't know how long the cavity would stay empty either.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 09:30:02 am »
I just had a weakend hive getting SHB larva and the slime smell, but condensed them in time and they bounced back strong.
I would think that any colony could overcome their listlessness if they get drastically condensed small enough on good comb.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 09:47:14 am »
FloridaGardener,
Bees do get an attitude when they?re overwhelmed.
When I do a cutout, I try to open up the entire hive. This seems to take away their defensive nature. If I only open up a part of the hive, they stay defensive. Every time I start removing more covering material the defensive nature returns. Sometimes really bad.
I just did a cutout under a mobile building. I had to work from directly under the hive. I cut out the entire covering right from the start and once it was open they were very calm. If I had opened it in sections they would have been a lot meaner.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 02:06:24 am »
FloridaGardener,
Bees do get an attitude when they?re overwhelmed.
When I do a cutout, I try to open up the entire hive. This seems to take away their defensive nature. If I only open up a part of the hive, they stay defensive. Every time I start removing more covering material the defensive nature returns. Sometimes really bad.
I just did a cutout under a mobile building. I had to work from directly under the hive. I cut out the entire covering right from the start and once it was open they were very calm. If I had opened it in sections they would have been a lot meaner.

This is my experience as well Jim/Beemaster2 .

I just had a weakend hive getting SHB larva and the slime smell, but condensed them in time and they bounced back strong.
I would think that any colony could overcome their listlessness if they get drastically condensed small enough on good comb.

Good job Bob!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.