Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buttered Biscuits?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
Buttered Biscuits?
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:20 am »
Ok, here's a new one for me.  I have a hive that literally smells like fresh buttered biscuits.  The hive is currently in the process of making a new queen after a split (capped queen cells in the hive last Thursday) so I don't want to open it up and spook 'em.  However, I have never experienced a buttered biscuit smell before.  None of my other hives have this aroma.

The colony is quite strong, even after the split.  I didn't see many SHB when I was in the hive last week and it appeared that the bees had that well under control.

Any idea what in Northeast Florida could be contributing to the smell?
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Buttered Biscuits?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:35:09 pm »
I am not referring to your buttered biscuit smell; but to SHB.  It does not take long for SHB  to take over a hive. I learned this the hard way. I am not implying this is your situation but simply warning of the speed and sure destruction by SHB. Some say a strong hive will keep them in check. In my opinion, I would not rely on that for certainty. It seems some years are better or worse than others from what I have gathered here. ?? Good luck with your bees. 

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:45:15 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:59:53 pm »
I am not referring to your buttered biscuit smell; but to SHB.  It does not take long for SHB  to take over a hive. I learned this the hard way. I am not implying this is your situation but simply warning of the speed and sure destruction by SHB. Some say a strong hive will keep them in check. In my opinion, I would not rely on that for certainty. It seems some years are better or worse than others from what I have gathered here. ?? Good luck with your bees. 

Phillip Hall

Hey Phillip,

Thanks for your reply.  SHB can definitely crop up here in Florida with a vengeance. In my three years of beekeeping, I have found that proper space management has worked well for keeping the beetles under control.  However, three years is not a long time and situations change frequently.  That said, I do monitor for signs of SHB takeover.  I don't run plastic frames and am slowly phasing out foundation in my brood boxes.

I have smelled a couple of hives that were taken over by SHB and am reasonably confident that's not what this is, fortunately.  My next "check date" for this hive is 4/14, so we'll see what happens then.  :)
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:13:09 pm »

>I have smelled a couple of hives that were taken over by SHB and am reasonably confident that's not what this is,
  fortunately.  My next "check date" for this hive is 4/14, so we'll see what happens then.  :)

Good, you are well educated of SHB. Thank you for your reply. I do not know if I have properly welcomed you here, and in case I did not. I will say WELCOME! Very glad to have you here as a fellow member. Let us know what that good smell is once you pinpoint it.
 :grin:

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:19:14 pm »
The smell is most likely a unique flora.  Maybe that hive is your only hive to visit a particular patch of flower that affords a unique smell.  Rather pleasant I am thinking.  However consider butyric acid, rancid butter, which can form from degradation of many substances besides butter.  This is my only concern.   So, a sweet smell, is Ok, but rancid butter is cause for inspection.

A banana smell is not good, defensive alarm pheromone.  My hives will present a golden rod smell this fall.  I can stand downwind 50 feet and smell the golden rod. 

BTW, lack of smell, is first sign of corvid19 with most, but not all folks.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:09 pm »
Matt,
I know the smell you?re talking about. Mine at the house are smelling the same. I call it a yeasty kinda smell. IMO they?re on a flow and putting up nectar and making bee bread. I smell it every year. I don?t believe you have any thing to worry about.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:55:11 pm »
Thanks all.

The smell is definitely not unpleasant as I would imagine rancid things to be.  The butyric acid as a byproduct of anaerobic fermentation is an interesting concept.  I did have quite an abundance of winter stores in this colony and had some condensation issues in the top box, so there is a possibility that something got wet, then got capped.  It's not what I would expect, but anything is possible.

Based on the hive activity at the entrance and the relatively calm demeanor of the bees, I'm not terribly worried about it at this time.  I'll know a lot more in two weeks when I crack it open to investigate whether or not they successfully re-queened from the split.  :)  I was mostly curious, as I've heard of quite a few scents coming from hives, but buttered biscuits was never mentioned.  lol

-Matt
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 12:29:31 am »
Buttered biscuits?   Hmmmm.   Sounds and smells like masses of fresh open developing brood to me.  A good thing. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 08:35:10 am »
Buttered biscuits?   Hmmmm.   Sounds and smells like masses of fresh open developing brood to me.  A good thing. 

If so, there's two possibilities:

1) My bee math is way off...by weeks!
2) The queen that went missing from the original split attempt left the split and returned to the parent hive.  (I'm sure it's not impossible, though it does seem unlikely!  lol)

I'll be inspecting this hive on Saturday.  I've noticed the smell has substantially reduced over the last week, coinciding with pretty much every bloom ceasing.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 07:58:38 pm »
Opened up the hive today due to the threat of bad weather this weekend.

I've got eggs!  I've got a few larvae!  I even spied a big, beautiful queen!

Since there's no capped brood or advanced stage larvae, I have to assume this is a new queen.  I think I'll call her Margarine because I can't believe it's not butter!
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »
I think I'll call her Margarine because I can't believe it's not butter!
Haha!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 09:09:26 am »
lol, Stitch.