Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to stop feeding  (Read 1603 times)

Offline johnwm73

• House Bee
When to stop feeding
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:08:39 pm »
I live in North Texas and I am getting two 5 frame nucs soon. I am wondering if I should feed them when I get them and when should I stop feeding them? If I don't need to feed them come next spring when I do when do I need to stop feeding them?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: When to stop feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:46 am »
If you're getting nucs you'll probably want to transfer them into a 10 framer right from the start.  Put the 3 center frames from the nucs in the center of the hive body as these are most likely the ones with brood.  If brood on any of the other 2 frames group them with the brood combs.  Place and undrawn frame between the brood nest and the outside honey combs from the nuc.  This will make the bees build those frames faster and enlarges the brood chamber at the same time.  The outer frames should be undrawn as well.  Move them in from the outside one frame on each side so that the outside honey storage frame stays on the outside and the bees draw the empty frame adjacent to the brood combs.

Feed until the 1st box is drawn and them let them do their own work.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:53:33 am »
IMO, when they have a couple of frames of capped honey and there's a flow of nectar coming in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:44 pm »
I have been feeding my hives the 1:1 syrup and I figured I would just keep feeding until the weather consistantly remains above 55 degrees. I hope this isn't a bad practice.