Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OAV residue  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
OAV residue
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:14:30 pm »
Just built my first vaporizer. After a successful test I started to wonder about the residue that is left in the pan. Do I need to take any precautions with the residue? Not planning to lick it or anything but don't want to do anything foolish either.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: OAV residue
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »
For the quantity of ash you'll be looking at during average useage, no special precautions are necessary.

If you're curious as to what the ash left behind from Technical Grade OA consists of - here's a typical assay:

Oxalic Acid Dihydrate, Technical Grade (> 99%)

Residue on ignition (Ash) < 0.01 %
Insoluble matter < 0.005 %
C=8%, H2O

Calcium (Ca) < 0.001 %
Chloride Content < 0.002 %
Substances Darkened (by H2SO4) Pass
Iron (Fe) < 2 ppm
Heavy Metal (as Lead) < 5 ppm
Nitrogen Compounds < 0.001 %
Sulfate < 0.005 %

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:52:51 pm »
Dabbler

Although you posted a picture (thank you),   I don't really recognize the components.  Could you elaborate on how you built it a bit more?
Thanks
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:32:24 pm »
The main thing is don't breath the vapor...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
Dabbler

Although you posted a picture (thank you),   I don't really recognize the components.  Could you elaborate on how you built it a bit more?
Thanks
gww

GWW - Pretty much a takeoff from others' designs. The "tray" is 1/2" aluminum with two connected boiling pans. I used a wood router with a carbide bit to mill the recess. Heat comes from a Bosch 80010 glow plug that is set-screwed into the center of the aluminum. A piece of 3/4 " aluminum, angle keeps the pan off the bottom board and helps thermally isolate the pan. The handle is from a Dollar Store selfie-stick and extends. The cord is of course from an  extension cord (14 gauge). I plug the vaporizer into the remaining portion of the cord which has battery clips at the far end.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:24 pm »
Dabbler
Very nice.  The thing that threw me was what I thought was a 120 volt ac plug.  I had read on another site of some one wanting to do a 120 volt ac one and thought yours might be the answer.  I don't have bees jet but have been looking at needing to make one for when I get them.  Yours looks like a very nice item and I hope when I get around to it mine ends up half as good.  Do you think the glow plug will hold up in open air heating?  I will want 12 volt dc when and if I ever get around to doing it. 
Thanks for responding to my question and also for sharing.
gww

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:28:50 am »
LJ  - Thanks for the assay info. Doesn't look very nasty. Still won't lick it though http://www.beemaster.com/forum/Smileys/beemaster/happy.png

GWW - I can see why it confused you. I thought it would be expedient to use a standard extension cord rather than make a separate cable. Also it lets me use another extension cord if I need to.

Time will tell if it holds up to open air heating. From what I have read, the better the glow plug is in contact with the pan, the longer they last. I tried to keep the pan holes close to the glow plug diameter and also added some heat sink compound on the glow plug to thermally couple it to the pan.  Plus the two set screws of course.
     BTW- Like you, I do not have bees yet. This past year has been spent learning and building equipment.
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:10 pm »
dabbler
I am pretty sure I saw a fat bee man video where he licked it (prior to vaporizing)  I think he said it was the same stuff that is in Listerine mouth wash and that it tasted like that.  Personally I am willing to take his word for it.  I have been building a little for two years.  Tried trapping last year with no success.  I will get at least one nuc this year and still try to trap.  I guess I am a bit behind you now as you have a ova burner and I don't yet :grin:.

Good luck and again thanks for sharing.
gww