Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Best Vetch And Lespedeza Species To Plant  (Read 6179 times)

Offline jtow

• New Bee
The Best Vetch And Lespedeza Species To Plant
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:42:01 am »
Which species are the best for nectar production? Looking for opinions from the forum members.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: The Best Vetch And Lespedeza Species To Plant
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »
How much acreage do you have to plant and what type of land?

Offline jtow

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »
I have 10 acres, thick with Hairy Vetch and some Dutch clover. Would like to add more diversity.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51:38 pm »
Just one thing to remember before planting anything, Bees will tap about two million flowers and fly 50,000 miles to make one pound of honey.   With that in mind, I believe any little bit can help even if it just makes you feel better.   One the plants, try a little of everything.   Get a long honey flow with a lot of different plants if possible. 

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:48 pm »
I value pure vetch honey right up there with pure tupelo honey. How I love that water white vetch honey!!!!

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:01:35 am »
Which species are the best for nectar production?

Check out bi-color lespedeza for ease in establishing and drought tolerance.  Bees love it, very hearty, and long lived, and it reseeds it's self too. Also bi-color makes good cover for other wildlife.  Cow vetch and hairy vetch grows well here but I don't know about where you are.  I also no longer remember the difference between the vetches since now days no one plants vetch anymore because there is no government subsidy, commodity, marketing, or loan program available to encourage farmers to cultivate vetch.  Now if you started a whispering campaign along the lines that smoking vetch got you high that might change.

anything