Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping supply companies  (Read 3282 times)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Beekeeping supply companies
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:19 pm »
I was wondering how long it would take for Kelley's to become Mann lake.  In my opinion they are one company now.  I am needing some frames so I looked at Kelley's since I bought some from them last fall.  Well the price has gone up and the selection has changed to match Mann lake.  With Brushy Mountain out of business, does Mann lake have a monopoly or are there still other companies out there selling beekeeping supplies?  I just looked at Miller bee supply.  Their frames are cheaper and according to there facebook page they are offering free shipping on orders over $150.  I guess I will order from Miller bee supply. 

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Beekeeping supply companies
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:39:51 am »
I just bought some medium plastic frames from Lappe's for a good price with free shipping.
Neill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:37:02 am »
I ordered a veil from Man on the 12th. Still haven't received it. I ordered a Nicot cage form Barnyard Bees week before that and believe it or not, I got it the very next day. They are two states over. I was shocked! If they had the veil that I wanted I would have gladly ordered it from them. I could have ordered a similar veil from China and paid much less, but China usually takes two weeks, and the tracking is terrible.  I bought from man because I wanted it soon. I was glad to pay much more for the ''service'' I am thinking I got the short end of the stick on both counts. Payment and service.  Perhaps man has become to big to fast? I say this regretfully as I was a fan of man.  I have resolved, in the future, Barnyard Bees in Georgia on anything that they have that I need. And no, I am not advertising. Just stating fact.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:08:07 am »
I ordered all my initial startup supplies from BetterBee.  I found their prices to be the cheapest of the big companies and the shipping was reasonable on a big order.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:00 am »
I've been using Mann Lake and Dadant for my supplies. Dadant seems to have heavier frames but the bees don't seem to care what supplier I use. ;)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:19 am »
Ironic!
I was starting a post about supplies but went to read board terms about this very contradiction of policy - so I erased it!!
I just ordered a 5 box set from Walmart it arrived (with China packaging) in 3 days.
I need more frames and paid 60$ for 20 w/ waxrite foundation from Mann off Amazon - is there a more competitive business or am I now in violation of board terms  :cheesy:
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 10:32:40 am »
Add Western Bee Co.  to the list. This time of year they can be rather slow to ship, though.  Ain't they all?
Lots of little local guys around the country, too.  Jones Bee in Salt lake, for example.  google is your friend.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
Ironic!
I was starting a post about supplies but went to read board terms about this very contradiction of policy - so I erased it!!
I just ordered a 5 box set from Walmart it arrived (with China packaging) in 3 days.
I need more frames and paid 60$ for 20 w/ waxrite foundation from Mann off Amazon - is there a more competitive business or am I now in violation of board terms  :cheesy:

I am glad you pointed that out about board terms. I don?t want to violate either. But I am happy to finish by saying Man did confirm they shipped my order yesterday. I received confirmation this morning. I am sure in time they will get back like they use to be. Plus this is a busy time of year for them. Not making excuses but I am giving a little slack to them .
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »
I just bought some medium plastic frames from Lappe's for a good price with free shipping.
they are my go to for hives,Kim and family are great people

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:26 pm »
saltybluegrass, If you own or work for the company, you cannot post it. If someone asks your opinion of a supplier, or what supplier you use, or other, than you can recommend or "not recommend" a company. Several have ask supplier questions before and I have recommended Beezneedz.com, as I live a mile from them and am in there nearly daily. If someone has a problem with them, I can straighten it out in person.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »
saltybluegrass, If you own or work for the company, you cannot post it. If someone asks your opinion of a supplier, or what supplier you use, or other, than you can recommend or "not recommend" a company. Several have ask supplier questions before and I have recommended Beezneedz.com, as I live a mile from them and am in there nearly daily. If someone has a problem with them, I can straighten it out in person.

I am just 1 table saw away from bee ing a supplier lol - I can make a box - I have a router but need a table saw to complete my work  so I will continue to purchase!! Thanks IDDEE
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 12:31:20 pm »
Dove tail joint fasteners? Does any one screw or nail the panels together ? If so how many fasteners per side? Or glue?
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 01:11:58 pm »
My somewhat limited observations:

Mannlake pre-assembled dovetails come stapled - these start to pull out within a year or 2.

I've used a large Brad nailer with glue - this also opened up gaps in the same time frame.

The bees propolize the gaps, but I don't like it.

I've used screw. I prefer this even though it's more work and cost. But I've found that if I screw 3 of the dovetail joints, some of the others will still open up.

I'd like to boil the boxes in wax to keep the moisture out of the wood, and hopefully prevent the larger wood movements. But I won't have enough wax till next year.

On this next batch (15 boxes) I'm going to screw every dovetail joint, and see how that works. ... so I'm still searching for the right answers ...

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 01:57:21 pm »
Dove tail joint fasteners? Does any one screw or nail the panels together ? If so how many fasteners per side? Or glue?

I build my own. I have settled on the Rabbet joint. Less exposure to joints and weather has to be a plus. I make these by cutting the desired length. Set up my router table and cut the desired rabbet. Then. I go back and put two coats of paint in the rabbet, and end of boards. before joining the box together, I use bond tight glue for another waterproofing seal along this edge, as well as capitalizing  as an added fastener. Once the box is put together, I again go back and add another thin coat of bond-tight over the joint, and end but where exposed after the cut of wood grain, again for waterproofing.  I am thinking the less moisture allowed into the joints, the longer it will take for rot to set in, as I live here in the humid south.  Only time will tell if this is beneficial.   I am thinking if this will help extend the life of a box for at least one year then the extra effort is well spent. Who knows I might double the life of the box?

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »
My somewhat limited observations:

Mannlake pre-assembled dovetails come stapled - these start to pull out within a year or 2.

I've used a large Brad nailer with glue - this also opened up gaps in the same time frame.

The bees propolize the gaps, but I don't like it.

I've used screw. I prefer this even though it's more work and cost. But I've found that if I screw 3 of the dovetail joints, some of the others will still open up.

I'd like to boil the boxes in wax to keep the moisture out of the wood, and hopefully prevent the larger wood movements. But I won't have enough wax till next year.

On this next batch (15 boxes) I'm going to screw every dovetail joint, and see how that works. ... so I'm still searching for the right answers ...

Alan

What?s funny is your name. And your picture -
I just moved from Ky, hence the name. You look like an old hunting buddy of mine named Alan , so this all adds up now- thank you new friend!! I do hate your snowy picture as I was always the latest out of the bunk to go hunting - I HATED cold weather!!
It?s up to me

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 03:07:19 pm »
Isn't there supposed to be a nail-screw in every dove tail ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 05:52:20 am »
Mickey,
Not necessarily, if you glue them up properly, the nails are holding the wood in place until the glue dries. I used to put one in every joint, but not now. The glue is stronger than the wood.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 06:14:08 am »
Jim do you build your own boxes?  If so, do you use the  dove tail joint? Also what glue do you use? Thanks, Phillip
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:36:52 am by Ben Framed »

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:25 am »
After 12 years almost all of the commercial boxes I have are splitting, cracked and a few are starting to rot.  The 5 frame nucs I made from rough cut and butt jointed with titebond and exterior screws look as good as the day I built them.  Go figure. Finger joints don't last  in the north east with all of the extreme temps.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 12:04:13 pm »
After 12 years almost all of the commercial boxes I have are splitting, cracked and a few are starting to rot.  The 5 frame nucs I made from rough cut and butt jointed with titebond and exterior screws look as good as the day I built them.  Go figure. Finger joints don't last  in the north east with all of the extreme temps.

I do not know but I am thinking the tightbond seals the elements out of the critical joints where moisture can gather and once gathered is hard to dry and evaporate, thus rot will have a good starting place. Using tight bond alone should be a big help? I know on houses that use the calk in the joints still eventually rot. Therefore I believe Tightbond is a better choice. That alone should make them last much longer.. I do not know about the dove tail being there is so much joint exposed. But I will say I do not know, just a theory. However the dove tail sure looks good!!