Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New vaccine could save bees from colony collapse disorder  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
New vaccine could save bees from colony collapse disorder
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:27:04 pm »

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
Re: New vaccine could save bees from colony collapse disorder
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:40:07 am »
I read a little about that also at this link:

http://www.dadant.com/journal/events/AmericanBeeJournalNewsSite.htm

It's not necessarily a cure, more like a vaccine that helps boost the bee immune system and helps protect the bees from the virus. It also touts increased brood and honey production. It appears to be quite promising.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:15:40 pm »
I read a little about that also at this link:

http://www.dadant.com/journal/events/AmericanBeeJournalNewsSite.htm

It's not necessarily a cure, more like a vaccine that helps boost the bee immune system and helps protect the bees from the virus. It also touts increased brood and honey production. It appears to be quite promising.

Helps protect bees from the virus? But the cause of CCD is unknown, it could be a virus, or of any other unknown cause. The virus they are speaking of, is the IVAP virus, which a seach on it accomplished nothing other than the news it was discovered in isreal, as well as this supposed cure for this supposed virus.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:12:37 pm »
I'm really not sure about all of it. I was just going by the article. It appears to show some promise and I really like anything that is in favor of the bees, especially helping with their immune system. I've also read where some of the scientists think that CCD and IAVP are the same or similar. Hopefully this vaccine is a step in the right direction with a better understanding of CCD and other viruses.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:53 pm »
From the looks of it (and I know little about this), instead of actually being called a 'vaccine' it's more like a shot of vitamin C for the bees. Gives their natural immune system a boost and helps them fight their own battle.

Personally, I'd be interested to see the progression move forward, but reluctant to actually use it. I think CCD came about with a constant disregard for the bees wellbeing, while throwing pesticides and chemicals left and right at them. I also think the only natural solution is to be reluctant at throwing MORE chemicals at them until we can be sure we know what we are doing.

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
Commercial honeybees are tough. They get trucked cross-country to pollinate vast crops, often while fed unnatural diets such as sugar water and soy flour. Their hives are treated with chemicals to deter parasites, and they're exposed to pesticides and fungicides in the fields where they work and feed.

"I can feed you a diet of Hershey bars, keep you up all night, truck you around, and spray Raid in your face, and I guarantee you'll get sick," says Jerry Hayes, Florida's assistant chief of apiary inspection. "That's kind of what's happening to bees."

from Scientific American "Is Life Too Hard for Honeybees?"

they also have an article on the new bee medicine

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:17 pm »
Not 100% accurate though. Yes that might explain the problems that commercial hives are having, but what about hobbyists? I don't give my bees any pesticides, any pollen substitutes, or anything of the like, and I still get CCD problems.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:58:08 pm »
That's not to say that they aren't exposed to pesticides though.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
I agree with specialkayme. Instead of continued breeding of weak, chemically-dependent-to-survive bees, why not breed naturally strong, chemical free survivor-stock bees?! Not only do the chems affect the bees' well-being, they knock the h*** out of the wallet!