Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greenmore hive removal  (Read 2515 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Greenmore hive removal
« on: June 18, 2019, 10:28:40 am »
Here is a job BobSim and I did yesterday. We originally went out to do an open air hive removal. We were told it had been there for over a week. When we arrived it was gone. The customer did buy 2 jars of honey. 😊
We then went and looked at this site and took a FLIR picture from the inside of the house. The outside did not show anything mainly because there was sunlight coming through the trees.

Notice the shape of the heat signature. Then look at the hive after we opened it up.
The siding is an 8 foot long by 18 inches tall piece of plywood. We had to be very careful handling it. It is probably 60 years old or older.
It really helped having the FLIR picture. We originally thought the hive would be in the first section on the right because the bees were entering at the top corner of the bricks.

Continued in
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greenmore hive removal
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:47:00 am »
We used the vacuum in order to get as many bees as possible so that we would not have a bunch of bees after we left. We did not see the queen the bees kept going up to the top of the wall and into the soffit. I am hoping we have her in the beevac. There was almost no larvae, only a few hatching bees. There were several hatched queen cells and a few cut out queen cells. This is a sure indicator that the bees super swarmed, that is they swarmed over and over again until there is no more brood hatching out. I did find a lot of queen laid eggs. We only ended up with 2 combs of eggs and we put them in a nuc.

Notice that the bees have stripped the cardboard covering from the inside of the drywall. I have seen where they cut through the drywall as well.
Continued
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:52:25 am »
We were able to put everything back the way it was as you can see below. There is nothing else needed after we finished. The only problem with this building is there are opening all along the bottom and top and there is no insulation in alt of the walls. We made sure we can again remove the panels the next time the bees move in.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:52:45 pm »
Another great job!!  Yes, they will be back..
 (JA) The Bee Man !! 😊😁
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything