Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too Late to Setup New Hive?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline PeteSJCA

• New Bee
Too Late to Setup New Hive?
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »
Hi,  I'm in the south San Francisco Bay Area in Northern CA.  Is there a drop dead date for introducing a swarm to my hive that's all setup and beeless?
Pete F.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Too Late to Setup New Hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »
you have moderate temps.  if they are swarming, you are ok to set it up.  late swarms may require feeding, but other than that you should be good.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:44:40 pm »
Yes, but it definitely is not too late yet.  You can introduce them anytime prior to the end of fall flow, in my opinion, as long as you are willing to feed like mad during dearth or after fall flow to make up the difference. Others here on the forum who live in your area can tell you when the fall flow is/how long it runs.

In NC, I have done a split including frames of honey in the last week of June (right in the beginning of our long dearth here) and, without feeding, brought them through the winter.  This year that same hive tripled in size in 2 months and provided me another two 7-frame splits last week.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:45 pm »
I hived a small swarm Sept. 6 last year, gave it a couple of frames of brood from the parent hive, fed pretty heavily in the fall and kept it on a covered porch over the winter and it has already thrown off a huge swarm this year.
linda d

Offline PeteSJCA

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:03:30 pm »
Thanks for all your help!
Pete F.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:24 am »
Hi Pete

I'm in Placerville north of Sacramento. We are getting a lot of swarm calls now, so it is definitely not to late to hive them. I am feeding two small swarms right now and they are building up great. We have lots of warm, warm weather coming and for a long, long time.

Good luck
annette

Offline PeteSJCA

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »
Hi Annette,  Thanks.  I just got (Tuesday) a swarm that settled in a nuc box with just one frame in it.  i transferred the frame and all the bees to my 10 frame box. Can I safely remove the frame in a few days and return it with the box to it's owner? Thanks for whatever you can tell me.
Pete F.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:54:09 am »
You should probably give that frame back right away before the bees start to place eggs, pollen and nectar in that frame.  As long as you are using foundation in your frames (as opposed to using foundationless frames), you can remove that frame now and give it back to the owner.

If that frame is all drawn out (I am assuming) then the bees have probably started to use that frame for storage. I think it will be fine to remove that frame, but do it fast.

Hope this helps

Annette