Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Wisconsin  (Read 2854 times)

Offline tsk

• New Bee
Hi from Wisconsin
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »
I'm a relatively new beekeeper from Southeastern Wisconsin.  I purchases some land about a year ago and got the itch to try beekeeping.  This spring I bought 3 packages and installed them.  Despite all my efforts to the contrary, all three colonies are currently still alive (knock on wood).  I made quite a few mistakes this first year but think I learned quite a bit.  I plan on getting some more packages this spring and expanding my apiary.

I found this forum and figured I'd sign on and introduce myself.  Thanks.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hi from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »
Welcome aboard!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:27:01 pm »
have a emergency feed program ready before you need it.  Weather up here in the midwest this fall wasn't ideal.  They burned through alot of stores on those high 40s/ low 50 days with nothing to collect on the dead brown country sides.  You can make of buy candy boards or blocks or a block of  fondant to cut into slabs.  Come Feb on a windless, sunny day pop the cover and take a quick peek.  If you find the cluster right at the top under the cover you'll need to act ASAP.  They could die in just a couple of days.  Some move frames from the outside in next to the cluster but up here its usually still to cold to have the hive open long enough.  You'll most likely need a spacer for each colony also to make room for the food

Offline tsk

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I already made a fondant sheet for each hive which is on the hives and was thinking about making a bunch more this weekend.  I'm trying to monitor things because I am fearful they will run out of stock.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »
not much time to monitor left.  Ideally the cluster will now be on in the center of the bottom box with a full box of honey above.  Come Jan opening the cover wont be possible.  I use a stethoscope and if I hear them I leave them alone.   If I hear nothing I give the hive a couple of knocks then listen.  If it still quiet I open it.  They are most likely dead.  I get these out of the field as quick as possible.  There is always missed honey on a starved colony.  sometimes alot on the outside frames both top and bottom.  I use it for emergency feed and splits in spring

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 05:27:50 pm »
Welcome to the site! Larry

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:27:32 am »
Welcome fellow cheese head.  I hope your not a bear fan. 

Good luck with the bees!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 01:45:26 am »
...I use a stethoscope and if I hear them I leave them alone...

That sounds like a novel idea.  I like it.   :)

:bee:    Welcome tsk!

Please be sure to share your learnings, as there are many of us new beeks getting into the hobby and we can learn so much from each other.

Offline Picobrew

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:28 am »
Greetings from the North Coast.
I think cayenne, I think cayenne.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:19 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline tsk

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »
Shouldn't you find out if someone is a Bear's fan before you welcome them? 

Welcome fellow cheese head.  I hope your not a bear fan.