Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching  (Read 6560 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm Catching
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2024, 04:26:28 pm »
I plan to check frequently.
If you have your trap within WIFI range, I'd get a camera set up so you don't have to check and won't miss any action. Mine lets me know anytime a bee comes onto the scene (which hasn't happened today) and I can open up the app and watch without having to run out there. I got it tuned pretty good now and am not getting any false alarms. Just bees and cats.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2024, 04:29:48 pm »
Ha, and just like that, I got a visitor. First one of the day.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2024, 09:19:33 am »
Ha, and just like that, I got a visitor. First one of the day.

Cool!

Mine are too far away for WiFi.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2024, 12:37:22 pm »
Changed my bait hives this morning; see modified post above.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2024, 10:32:24 am »
My swarm trap saw a good bit of action yesterday and there is some interesting activity at it this morning. One bee in particular is acting like she owns the place and seems to be guarding the door (I have the small entrance opening on it). She's going in and out the door, circling some and looks like she's spreading a pheromone. Now she took off.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2024, 02:18:15 pm »
My swarm trap is teeming with activity here this afternoon. Hopefully, this is move-in day. It's pretty warm out, I'd guess high 70s with a light breeze. Bees seem to be coming in waves of 12 or so and going in, some come back out but it looks like a lot are staying inside. Maybe it's wishful thinking. Either way, activity is pretty much non-stop right now and I set up my GoPro to document it just in case.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2024, 04:05:39 pm »
Does anyone know what it means when two, three or four of them go 'round and 'round in circles, face to face on the porch?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2024, 04:36:29 pm »
Are they fighting?  Are they locked together and spinning? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2024, 05:26:02 pm »
Are they fighting?  Are they locked together and spinning?
I would say not. It?s happened quite a few times. They come out of hive and do that then go back in or fly off. I have video of it and it put it on YouTube later.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2024, 05:27:35 pm »
I?m just hoping that it?s not my neighbors laying workers.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2024, 06:22:23 pm »
I?m just hoping that it?s not my neighbors laying workers.
:cheesy:  Don't worry, I sincerely doubt it's that.  I'm under the impression that laying workers act more like queens and don't leave the nest.  And even if they do continue foraging activity, I don't know why they'd be looking for a place to live.  Also, normal bees not allowing in laying workers is nothing to be concerned about.  When you do a shakeout, that is your goal.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2024, 06:36:37 pm »
Closest thing I can think of of bees facing each other is at the swarm when dancing is going on and they don't like a location some bee is dancing for they will head butt the dancer.  I had similar at one of my traps today.  Just a few messing around the entrance. 
We just had a rain and they might be sucking something out of the wood but my view is they are looking maybe for later and I hope they like it and bring their buddies.  I have seen it a few times when they did did not or were not interested in a new home but mostly no bees unless looking.  Mostly but there are rare occasions.  If they are doing at more then just the entrance and flying around the trap, odds are good unless they choose some other site.  Good luck.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2024, 07:10:23 pm »
OK, the video is up. This is not the best depiction of the 'dance' but you should get the gist of it. This hive saw heavy action all day with the first one at 1000 but the heavy action didn't start until 1100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5MXwvElrcU

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2024, 07:53:35 pm »
Hm, that's funny.  I honestly don't think I would have pegged that behavior as anything specific.  It may just be workers antennating each other.   

anything