Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question About Fall Feeding  (Read 1324 times)

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
Question About Fall Feeding
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »
I didn't feed last Fall but only because I couldn't get into my hive (just had one last year) due to having surgery and they did fine.

This year I have 2 hives and when I checked them last weekend I found lots of capped brood but very little honey stores.  My 2-year old hive was particularly light when I lifted the top brood box off - usually I can barely lift it.

I decided to put my boardman feeder on and since Monday they have only drained the quart jar by about half.  In the Spring they go through a quart a day.

We have mild winters here so my bees probably aren't in danger of starving, but I want to make sure of it - especially if we get an unusually cold winter.  Right now the temps are still in the high 80's during the day and 60's at night and there are some flowers blooming around my neighborhood, but not like in the Spring.

Are they not taking the syrup because they don't need it?  Should I stop feeding?  Or keep it on?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Question About Fall Feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:34:09 pm »
>My 2-year old hive was particularly light when I lifted the top brood box off - usually I can barely lift it.

IF you feel they are light indeed feed.

>I decided to put my boardman feeder on
careful of broadman feeders in particular during a dearth. They will start a robbing frenzy if not careful. Broadman--- one of the least desirable methods of feeding.

>Are they not taking the syrup because they don't need it?  Should I stop feeding?  Or keep it on?
Is there a flow of any kind in your area. They will bypass the feeder for the natural nectar. Sometimes I have problems with certain hives that don't take to the supplemental; feed to well. I understand from beekeeper friend that HBH will help the syrup consumption of bees reluctant to take it. But during a dearth if spilled or in a broadman etc. I have been told it will promote robbing. I prefer top jar feeders sealed at top.

Is there room in the brood chamber? Is it congested? The reason I ask is some newbee keepers I know ordered a new queen in late august or so and requeened. The queen was a laying fool and the brood pattern was beautiful. The hive was brood heavy with little stores. It had a super of drawn comb with only one or so frames full of honey. The keeper feed and the queen is gone.

I'm honestly not sure whether it is supercedure or swarm. There were several cells of all ages and backfilling in the brood nest. So I tend to think swarm, although the population was still strong. We still have some drones and I think the feeding put them in swarm mode although they had plenty room in the super to expand and store the feed.

It has been a real odd year????
John 3:16

anything