Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Flow Months for California Backyard Beekeeper?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline pallan

• New Bee
Honey Flow Months for California Backyard Beekeeper?
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
I live in Bakersfield, CA and everyone talks about the crops and honey-flows for commercial beekeepers, but I would like to know what and when are the honey flows for BACKYARD BEEKEEPERS who don't live next door to orchards or alfalfa fields?   Is there a major honey flow MONTH for urban area flowers?  Just though it might get some interesting answers from those who live in or know the area.  Thanks!
"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."
Isaiah 7:15

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Honey Flow Months for California Backyard Beekeeper?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:09:27 pm »
Honey flows happen giving no consideration to commlerical or backyard beekeeper.  A honey flow is simply an abundance of flowers (different types) blooming at the same time making the availability of nectar easy for the bees to get--hence the honey flows from the flowers.  
The commercial bkpr has the advantage that he can move his hives to the locales with the largest source at any given  moment.  From Almonds to Alfalfa so to speak.
If you are curious as to the honey flow schedule in your area it is just a matter of finding out the major bloom times of flowers in your area.  I understand that Almonds are early, like cherries, and might be considered the first of several honey flows in an area.
Hope this helps.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline pallan

• New Bee
Honey Flow
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:55:59 pm »
Mr. Bray,
Thank you for you insight and response.  I understand about how honey flows work but I guess I am just wondering if there are any recognizable and significant honey flows in the urban environment of Bakersfield.  For example, around Dallas, Texas where I used to keep bees Mesquite Trees were one, Golden Rod and even Rag Weed were some of the other MAJOR honey flows that happened at specific times or months.
"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."
Isaiah 7:15