Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: should i expect to harvest honey?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline palomanegra

• New Bee
should i expect to harvest honey?
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:24:09 pm »
It is my first season keeping a colony of Russian bees and they seem to be doing very well so far. But should I expect to harvest any honey? I need to leave enough for overwintering (I live in Pennsylvania) and am not sure when I should put the super on-- I was thinking middle of August?

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Re: should i expect to harvest honey?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:36:07 pm »
This is my first year too. I started in late April with a package, and added supers as they filled the ones they were in. I'm running all mediums, and now have 3 full supers(bottom and 2nd have honey and brood, 3rd has honey), and one that they are drawing out. I did steal 2 frames, crushed and strained, and put the frame back in the top most super for them to clean and draw out.

Have you added any supers at all? August seems late to me, but you are farther north than I am.
Brenda

Offline Steve M.

• House Bee
    • Maine Homesteading
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:31:56 pm »
I'm in my first year as well, and I only started with one hive. I went with a nuc of Carniolans, and they have really done well for the most part.  I think I must have lost some of them to a swarm that I didn't recognize was imminent.  I really should have put in the 2nd deep before I did.  They now have two deeps fully drawn out, and I put on a medium super a few days ago, and I am planning on checking on them tomorrow....if it stops raining!

What is your set-up?  Are you using deeps, or all mediums?  10 frame or 8 frame?  I would think that you would be ready for a super, or getting pretty close.

I am not expecting to harvest any honey this year, but I am going to try to give them the best shot at producing all they can, and maybe, just maybe I will be able to get a bit to harvest.

I wish you the best!

--Steve

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
It is my first season keeping a colony of Russian bees and they seem to be doing very well so far. But should I expect to harvest any honey? I need to leave enough for overwintering (I live in Pennsylvania) and am not sure when I should put the super on-- I was thinking middle of August?
It does matter how long the hive has been going, if its a nuc or package, all make a difference, as a general rule tho--when the bees have filled 80% or 8 of the 10 frames in a super, med or deep ,, add another one. Thats what I did, I'm in michigan and I'm also first year. the bees need at least 60lbs of honey for the winter. Maybe a little more.

I was told first year harvest is pretty small ,if at all.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »
3rd year here . . . . did pull and scrape 6 or seven frames between two hives first year.  Never supered, but hives were honey bound plus I wanted to get rid of that *&^%^&*^@#  Duragilt foundation.  Now all brood frames are coated Plasticell save be for one badly drawn but full of pollen Duragilt frame at position 1 and 10 in each brood box.  So first year, not much . . . just a couple of frames for winter buiscuts.  Both overwintered well with lots of stores and a tar paper wrap and did well second year.  This year (3rd) added a third hive with a May package and all three have been strong giving up 18 gals among them 5 July.  All three have two supers back on them mostly full.  I read here where Colorado is having a banner flow too.  Ours in N Utah is unreal.  On track for 10+ gal per hive.  I would not have believed it if I had not seen it!  The nutty and light Japanese Knottweed is just thinking about opening up and it is a heavy producer.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24