Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dark european bees (russians)  (Read 3322 times)

Offline INDIOS

• New Bee
dark european bees (russians)
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:25:05 am »
  Canadian beekeeper looking to import AMM dark European honey bees to improve winter survival and cold weather hardiness, any help or contacts are appreciated.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: dark european bees (russians)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:16:50 am »
are you looking for queens or packages/nucleus colonies? What are the Canadian import regulations? There are several queen breeders online. They may be sold out however.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »
From everything that I have read on bee imports, Canada is tougher that USA.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:52:22 pm »
What is to prevent a swarm from flying across the St. Lawrence river?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:09:48 pm »
No Visas :grin:   I will be looking for where I received my Russians from when I get out to my outer yard. If tred is open I will respond then.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline INDIOS

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:13:04 am »
  The only problem with importation is they have come from a area free of the africanized bees, hive beetle, etc. etc. They always bring in queens, nucs from Australia, Hawaii, and California, so it shouldn't be that difficult, if all else fails, Soo Michigan is very close, and the mated queens can cross under the seat :wink: any of the apis melefera melifera (AMM) variety will do, I am tired of having 50-60% winter losses, mainly due to the italian variety that is available,  thanks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:31:29 am »
What is to prevent a swarm from flying across the St. Lawrence river?
One article that I read about a guy that lived on the Canadian border was preventer from moving his bees while at the same time the bees were crosing the boarder every day.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:35:06 am »
Living on a border state and having been to Canada many times I have to say indios probably has the right idea. It would be pretty easy to hide and sneak queen across the bridge. I find it more difficult to come home than go to Canada. Although I did have a bit of a time on a camping trip when I was a kid. That was because they had a problem with parental child abduction and one parent fleeing with the kid to Canada. Because it was just me and my father they stopped us. They did let us go it was pretty obvious what we were doing with the canoe and the camping gear...

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:10:16 am »
Getting back to the bees, in Canada you already have some of the best wintering overwintering bees available.  Ferguson's Apiaries in Ontario have Buckfast, and the U. of Guelph was working with a Russian line several years ago.  Check around and you will find what you want.

anything