Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fermentation  (Read 1469 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
fermentation
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »
I have a friend that puts a couple of pallets at a lavender farm each year.  His honey house isn't set up to do small extractions so I do it for him each year.  Usually he will bring 6 - 8 supers of capped lavender but this year was different.  Over half was uncapped.  I set these on a few of my strong colonies for a week hoping to get them capped but it didn't happen.  The nector was not thin enough to shake out so I went ahead and extracted.  I did the work in 2 batches.  First was mostly capped and the second was all uncapped.  I told him that the uncapped could ferment so dont mix them.  It has been about a month now with no signs of fermentation.  Anyone have any idea how long he should wait to be safe.  He wants to cream all of it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: fermentation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »
How warm has it been where the honey is?  If it hasn't started yet I'm not sure if it ever will.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:44:36 am »
How warm has it been where the honey is?  If it hasn't started yet I'm not sure if it ever will.
being a long time brewer this was the first thing I told him was to keep it in the house near 70 degs.    Although he told me it is noticeably thinner it is showing no signs of mold or fermentation after 30 days.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »
Flip side problem - a friend of mine has two mediums of capped honey that from the smell has fermented in the comb.  If I extracted this, could I safely give the comb back to the bees?  Should I air it for some time first?  Gently hose it down then dry it?  Could the fermented honey be used to make mead?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:43:16 am »
Flip side problem - a friend of mine has two mediums of capped honey that from the smell has fermented in the comb.  If I extracted this, could I safely give the comb back to the bees?  Should I air it for some time first?  Gently hose it down then dry it?  Could the fermented honey be used to make mead?

JC
It shouldn't ferment if its capped but if it did the co2 off gas would pop the cappings.  More that likely you just have a smelly nectar source

anything