Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 02:00:10 pm »
OK, I moved my swarm hive into location near my nuc hive last night and I am getting a mix of orientation flights and bees going to the old spot. I put a single medium box with empty foundation at the old location. How many bees can I expect to go back to the old spot and what do I do with them? The new location has a veil around it of lemongrass stalks from our lemongrass plants. It's there but has plenty of space for them to get through it.

Though some say you can put a limb or stick in from of a newly moved hive for reorientation the next morning, it never worked for me. There is always the two foot for two mile rule to consider..
Didn't you move some bees a few days ago?
> But who knows, she could be marked too.

She may very well be marked. I have found marked swarm queens...

> At beeks class on Tuesday, we looked for the unmarked queen in the school hive and about three of us passed her off until another guy found her on the frame. :cheesy:

It takes practice Terri, you will get it. TheHoneyPump spoke on this, here at Beemaster a few years ago, giving hints and tips on finding the queen. In fact he took the extra time to take and post pictures, explaining as he went. He was a GREAT teacher and one of my 'mentors' here at Beemaster. He was 'a Beemaster' himself!

Phillip

Thanks for that advice. I should practice by looking for mine by physical characteristics rather than the red dot on her back. I expect to need to have that skill when I open up my swarm. But who knows, she could be marked too. At beeks class on Tuesday, we looked for the unmarked queen in the school hive and about three of us passed her off until another guy found her on the frame. :cheesy:
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: Run o' the Mill Jokes
« Last post by animal on Today at 11:21:10 am »
God sees that Adam is lonely in the garden, so he goes down and tells him that he can make a woman for him, but he'll need to take a part of him to ensure a match.

Adam: Whats a woman?
God : A wonderful being made similar to you but with differences to compliment your form. She'll be intelligent, wise, beautiful, funny, cook for you, clean for you, and have sex whenever you want.
Adam: That sounds amazing! What will it cost me?
God: An arm and a leg.
Adam: That's pretty steep. What can I get for a rib?

>Nice video w/o the bloviating of the typical youtube producer. Oh, and watchable at 1.5x :cool: What are the tricks to spotting a queen, particularly when there are large numbers of bees to sort through? I question whether or not I'll ever be able to master that.

It 'is' a nice video Terri. Put together by what seems to be a very nice person. Its obvious she has been doing this a long time. Have you seen the video posted by animal of her old pickup truck honey display?  The thoughts put into that one, incorporated with marketing strategy, are brilliantly outstanding..... !!!!!

Terri, I was wanting to know 'the tricks' to finding the queen, just as you, when I first began. As you know she will usually be found in the brood chamber on the inner 8 frames. (Not always, but most times). What I do is when viewing a frame in search of her, is scan the outer edges of the frame and swiftly work my way around and around working my way toward the middle, until I get to the middle. Usually if she is on the frame, you will see her if she is not under her offspring. It takes practice, but the first time you locate her, you will be well pleased!

Phillip

Nice video w/o the bloviating of the typical youtube producer. Oh, and watchable at 1.5x :cool: What are the tricks to spotting a queen, particularly when there are large numbers of bees to sort through? I question whether or not I'll ever be able to master that.
Whether you have removed honeybees yourself, or know nothing at all about removing honeybees.; I think you will find the following video VERY educational and WELL put together with a touch of professionalism and style!
Here, this young lady clearly explains what you may expect when doing a honeybee removal. Not only what may be expected from the honeybees, but the homeowner as well.

Beware! The art of honey bee removal can be addictive !  Dont believe it? Ask Beemaster2 or iddee!

I have only watched three of her videos, but so far and I'm happy to report I'm VERY impressed with her professionalism and style of clearly relaying information to the viewer!

Phillip

The following video is offered in CC for the hearing impaired
https://youtu.be/j4AQGhVjPKE?si=1TQ1BLVpCBNMVurn

PS I am 'temporarily' placing this in Genera Beekeepingas as
many of our members and guest do not think to check out the
honeybee removal section.
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: Run o' the Mill Jokes
« Last post by iddee on Today at 08:52:42 am »
A lady called the pub and asked for Murphy. Bartender said he's not here. Lady sad, If you see him, tell him I'm going to get pregnant about 9 O'clock, if he wants to be here.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 08:47:53 am »
OK, I moved my swarm hive into location near my nuc hive last night and I am getting a mix of orientation flights and bees going to the old spot. I put a single medium box with empty foundation at the old location. How many bees can I expect to go back to the old spot and what do I do with them? The new location has a veil around it of lemongrass stalks from our lemongrass plants. It's there but has plenty of space for them to get through it.
Les,
You mentioned that the home yard produced very little propolis and the SHB were not a problem.
Your out yard had serious SHB problems and then they started making lots of propolis. Your out yard bees are using the propolis to control the SHB. This is a good genetic adaptation.
Jim Altmiller
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything