Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Dipping Woodenware  (Read 34377 times)

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Wax Dipping Woodenware
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »
Does anyone have experiance with this and is it cost effective?  My questions are how long does it last,  what does it look like long term,  do the bees use it all, 

Whats the best method and how much should you do at one time?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wax Dipping Woodenware
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:21 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
nice instructions mr bush....but can you tell me this.  how long does it last,  and what does it look like long term,
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:15 am »
I started doing it in 2007.  So far so good.  Most of them look like new.  I can't say what they do in the long term until I get there.  :)  But reports from others are it lasts as long as the box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »
Thanks,  where can I find material?  I looked at mannlake and didnt see anything.  I have 100 lbs of beewax,  so I guess I need pariffin, and gum rosin for rest.  I getting ready to build my tank.  Im going for 6 deeps at once.  Any special features you wish you would have done?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:53 am »
I bought the gum rosin from mann lake.  I don't see it in the catalog anymore, but you could call.   I find such things are often still available.  If not:
http://catalog.pcchem.com/item/paint-coatings-ink-adhesive-and-sealant-chemicals/resins-plasticizers/item-2303

I used just beeswax and rosin, but most use paraffin and rosin.

I would build a larger tank if I were doing it again in the volume I've been doing it.  I can do 1 full box and two half boxes.  And then I pull the full, flip the halves and add one more to finish the first two halves and one more.  So I get four boxes done every two batches, which averages two a batch.  I would build it to do four at least if I were doing it again... but that takes more wax to fill it...
-------------------

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:19 pm »
can you guess at how much they soak up?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »
I dipped probably six hundred boxes, 250 bottoms, 200 tops, 30 or 40 five frame nucs, 50 or so four way and two way mating nucs and I went through 100 pounds of rosin and 200 pounds of beeswax but the tank is still full... and that is probably 20 or 30 pounds of rosin and 60 pounds of beeswax.  I don't know what that comes to exactly...
-------------------

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:16 pm »
This paper (page 2) says about 30 grams (about 1oz) per deep hive body

http://www.queenrightcolonies.com/uploads/HotWaxDippingofBeehives.pdf

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
[imghttp://

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]

I am not quite big enough to justify a custom made tank and several hundred pounds of wax to dip my woodware, but hate painting enough to figure out another way.  The pan pictured came with my business 25 years ago, it is 1/4 inch aluminum (almost went to the recyclers several times)  Restaurant supply houses still sell a similar pan (about $150.).  I can do one side at a time so obviously it takes longer but it only took 9 pounds of wax and 9 pounds of Microcrystalline wax to get started and only 30 minutes to get up to temp.  Once up to temp one burner was able to maintain temp.  After 20 supers, still plenty of wax to do another 20 or more.

I worked inside, not recommended in a home.  I was under a commercial exhaust hood to keep the slight amount of smoke exhausting to the outside.

I did each side for 8 minutes so for 2 mediums, just over 1/2 hour.   Bottom boards do not fit, but could be done from corner to corner in the pan (getting the edges no problem) and than brushed hot wax onto the center of the board.  Not as good as submerging, but as the edges cooked I kept putting hot wax on the center and you could see foaming as the wood got hotter.

Jim

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:41:36 pm by Grandpa Jim »

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »
Thanks for the info,  I called mannlake and they have everything I need.  BUT they told me you have to dip every three years,  which surprised me.  I thought it would last longer than that.  paint last longer than that.  I really want to dip but not every three years.  Michael you say yours has lasted 5 years no issues?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:50 am »
I dipped mine in 2006 or 2007 and they mostly look like new.  Some grain seems to absorb it less and that has turned a little gray in places, but most looks like brand new wood.  People who do it seem to think it lasts a lot longer than that... I won't be able to say for a few more years... :)
-------------------

Offline Cheech

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 03:41:10 am »
does anyone have experience dipping with a combination of wax and linseed oil.  i'v heard of people painting with this combination, but not dipping like whats been suggested here.
can't seem to locate gum rosin here in Jamaica, seems no one in the paint manufacturing industry has ever heard of the product.  i can get parafin wax in 50lb slabs, and raw linseed oil by the gallon.

cheers

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 12:39:16 pm »
I wouldn't.  I know oily linseed oil rags can spontaneously combust.  The hardware variety also has compounds to assist in curing.  I can see using it on the outside of the hive, "dipping" would permeate all the pores with this stuff.  At some point the bees will chew on something, which is why beeks avoid using any potential problem stuff.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:13 pm »
Now this is the one I like.

http://youtu.be/f5UUJT8ooVE

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline fallout588

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »
That is a nice setup. Good idea with the tank lid holding the boxes down and nice assembly jigs.

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:47 am »
Nice stuff here guys.
I realize this is an old thread, but if anyone is still watching it, I'd be curious to know about the updated results. Meaning, at the time of these posts, two years ago, things were still holding up well . . . how are they now?
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline Sebashtion H.

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:29 am »
michael bush how are the hives holding up that you dipped years ago?

also had a some questions i seen a video of the guy in the garage assembling his hives and dipping the same night, the one with the awesome clamp and painting jigs......

being a woodworker i know the glues are water clean up, with that said in the video he glues them and seems to dip them the same time (no  24hr cure time) wouldn't this just void the gluing aspect, and the fact you are cooking the boxes at a high temp would that not just melt out the glue even if it is cured.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 02:19:49 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Hives1.jpg

These were dipped in 2004 and have been in the weather every since.
-------------------

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 02:29:14 pm »
being a woodworker i know the glues are water clean up, with that said in the video he glues them and seems to dip them the same time (no  24hr cure time) wouldn't this just void the gluing aspect, and the fact you are cooking the boxes at a high temp would that not just melt out the glue even if it is cured.

Finger joints don't need glue if you can keep the wood from rotting around the nails and mating surfaces.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it