Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB: Red Light 'discovery' ?  (Read 5210 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
SHB: Red Light 'discovery' ?
« on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:23 am »
The following link is (essentially) an advert for a techo gizmo to defeat SHB - so take it with a huge pinch of salt (with tomato sauce ...and a huge dollop of mayo) - 'cause it might be the biggest load of horse-sh^t ever - BUT - what if Red Light actually works ?  If I was ever plagued by SHB, then I'd try anything to rid my hives of 'em.

Anyway - fore-warned is fore-armed:
http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-new-cover-lets-in-only-red-light-and-keeps-small-hive-beetles-out/

A couple of AA batteries and some red LEDs - could it really be so simple ... ?
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: SHB: Red Light 'discovery' ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:49:19 am »
Looks interesting. My main concern with the lid here in Florida is that too much heat would be added to the hive. I have 2 layers of insulation in the top of my hives to keep the temps down. Each insulation board also has one or 2 layers of foil also.
It really stops the bearding.
To put direct, slightly filtered sun light would bee too much heat.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:40:46 am »
Jim
But they claim success in FL.
I like the idea of led's with the batteries charged by solar or wind.  It gives the advantage of placing the light at the bottom or anywhere else.  Might be a maintenance problem of keeping them clean though.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:42:33 am »
This article talks about working their bees at night.
Note to any new bees, working on bee hives at night is not smart. They are usually very defensive. You have all of the field bees in the hive and they have nothing to do but mess with you. Don?t work bees at night.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:07:46 pm »
This article talks about working their bees at night.
Note to any new bees, working on bee hives at night is not smart. They are usually very defensive. You have all of the field bees in the hive and they have nothing to do but mess with you. Don?t work bees at night.
Jim

Great advice, unless of course you don't mind getting stung. Some years ago had to put a couple of hives back together after they had been kicked over by some bulls. It was just after dusk so didn't worry about putting any gear on...took over 140 stings on both lower legs as they crawled up!!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 04:02:27 am »
Yes - very good advice about not working hives at night.  Like many people, I tried it once ... with extreme hostility resulting.

Tip - if you really must do some work on a hive at night (say, to salvage a knock-over in bad weather etc) then work by the light of a red torch - and have a couple of bright white torches positioned a few yards away on top (say) of neighbouring hives, beamed towards the subject hive - these will then attract irate forager-class bees.  This strategy has worked for me in the past - but, only try this with emergencies ... and with no guarantees.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Cappy

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:23 pm »
Interesting. Gets my creative (aka Well it was a good idea in theory) gears turning. And thank you Little John for the red light/white light trick. I hope I never need to use it but it's good to know. The first time I saw bees bearding at the entrance from the heat I went back later that night to see if they had cooled off. About 4 feet from the hive I turned on a small flashlight and pointed it at the hive. IMMEDIATELY I watched a bee zip straight at my hand and give me a stern warning bump. I turned the light off and went straight back to the house. Yep, they were still hot and yep, they do not appreciate my flashlight at night. I have a red lens flashlight now for just such occasions.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:31 am »
Jim
But they claim success in FL.
I like the idea of led's with the batteries charged by solar or wind.  It gives the advantage of placing the light at the bottom or anywhere else.  Might be a maintenance problem of keeping them clean though.

Ace, you might be on to something here. I don't know very much about LED except my LED flashlight bulb doesn't get very warm when in use. I am thinking that they don't put out much heat?  Just maybe heat has been considered and over come with this new top? I for one would like to know more about it.
Phillip   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:43:39 am »
Remember at night those heifers will come to a light.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:22:11 am »
Remember at night those heifers will come to a light.

Hey Capt, do you know anything about these red covers?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:13:09 pm »
99.999% of the bees cannot see red light.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:45:51 pm »
Jim you had said earlier that "My main concern with the lid here in Florida is that too much heat would be added to the hive." That would be my concern also. The sun bears down pretty hard here in Mississippi as well.  I am wondering if any of our members of the forum have tried this new cover. It would be nice to actually hear from someone that we know who has used this cover and give us the score. Personally, I don't see how anything that allows sunlight inside, even red light, would not also generate heat. I am also thinking about a solar wax melter. 😊😁.  On the other hand, someone who has devolved a product, that has made its way into Bee Culture, may or must have overcome this obstacle and that is what gives me hope. Surely Bee Culture wants keep up a good reputation producing only reputable and upstanding reports? I guess time will tell..  Thanks, Phillip Hall

As per little johns  first post here on top
http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-new-cover-lets-in-only-red-light-and-keeps-small-hiv
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:18:56 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 06:22:48 pm »
There would have to be some independent scientific research before I  would believe their claims. They are trying to sell something they made in their garage. Their word is not good enough. Until something better CD case baited with whatever legal poison is probably best option.Strong hives, removing unused frames/boxes and regular inspection. I do not have HB this year and not sure why.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 12:04:18 am »
There would have to be some independent scientific research before I  would believe their claims. They are trying to sell something they made in their garage. Their word is not good enough. Until something better CD case baited with whatever legal poison is probably best option.Strong hives, removing unused frames/boxes and regular inspection. I do not have HB this year and not sure why.

Ed, I did have trouble with the beetles about a month ago and I am mad at-em!! lol .  I took some advise of some here and added screen bottom boards with number 8 and oil trays plus the CD cases and am happy to say, they seem to be under control, at least for now.... I would like to hear some scientific proof also, or at least someone we know on here that we all trust that would try the red tops and update us.  Thanks, Phillip Hall

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 01:13:42 pm »
Im curious as if anyone has heard any more on this or perhaps may have tried lit?  Thanks, Phillip Hall

Offline hydrocynus

• New Bee
    • Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 01:42:10 am »
I read the article with great interest. However, they mentioned using a red acrylic sheet. The issue, as I see it, would be to overheat the hive as you would trap infra red in the hive. I am sure the bees will have to hyper ventilate the hive. So, if this device is used, some ventilation should be provided so that the heat would escape. I wonder then if that is the overheating that deterred the SHBs. As you know, there are less SHBs in sun exposed hives.